Are your clothes sticking to you? Have you been zapped by a jolt of electricity lately?

Well, with the dry air and cooler temperatures, it’s true, there is a rise of static electricity.

Static electricity is caused by electrons that move from one surface to another. You can build up electricity by just moving across the floor and once you touch something, you get shocked.

Warm and moist air will help lessen the charge, definitely not a problem in the summertime.

In the winter, when the air is drier and colder, you are more likely to get shocked. Drier air is like an insulator that will build up a charge.

Here are some ideas to help avoid getting shocked.

Buy "Static Guard" spray, it works! You can find it at your local Target for just $1.99.

This also helps. I put two dryer sheets in my pockets and it solves that problem.

Wear leather-soled shoes and more cotton clothes. Wool and nylon clothing can get sticky. Also, buying a humidifier would help. The humid air will help dissipate the charge.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app..


Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

CBS 5 Chief Meteorologist

Recommended for you