Clouds, showers, thunderstorms and cooler temperatures are in the forecast this weekend as an area of low pressure eventually moves into Arizona from Baja. The best window to see rain will be from late tonight and throughout the day on Sunday.

Rainfall totals will range from 0.50 to 1 inch, with isolated amounts of two inches possible, where thunderstorms develop and don't really move. This lack of movement is called training and could lead to areas of flash flooding on Sunday, especially along burn scars.

There is also the potential for thunderstorms to become severe with damaging winds and small hail. As this area of low-pressure tracks towards New Mexico, shower and storm chances will decrease on Monday, before brief drying on Tuesday.

Another storm system from the northwest is expected to impact Arizona for Wednesday through potentially the end of the week. For Phoenix today, look for mostly cloudy skies, a 20 percent chance of showers during the day, and a 60 percent chance of showers and storms late tonight. The forecast high today for Phoenix is 95 with a low of 75.

For Sunday, there's a 60 percent chance of showers and storms from the morning to the afternoon hours, with shower and storm chances dropping to 40 percent Sunday night. The forecast high for Sunday in Phoenix is 84 with a low of 74.

By Monday, shower and storm chances drop to 20 percent with partly cloudy skies and a high of 87 with a low of 72. Afternoon highs will teeter-totter between the upper 80s and low 90s for the remainder of the week with lows dipping to the low 70s and upper 60s. The normal high for Phoenix for this time of year is around 97 degrees.

Rain chances return to the forecast for at least Wednesday and Thursday at around 20 percent. In the mountains, highs will range from the 60s to the 70s with morning lows in the upper 30s to 50s. Storms will be scattered today, mainly south and east of I-40, with isolated storms north of that. Then, storms will become widespread Sunday, south and east of I-40, with scattered storms north of that.

 

Copyright 2020 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Tags

Locations

Recommended for you