A Valley man was treated for second and third degree burns at Maricopa Medical Center after his vape pen exploded in his back pocket.

"I've just been in a lot of pain," Otis Stovall said.

Stovall says he was at work Monday when he heard something explode.

"I'm looking down like, what is that sound? And it's like flames spurting out of my pocket so I just immediately started hitting it but I didn't know what was happening," he said.

The 22-year-old would later discover the explosion came from his back pocket.

"It was my vaporizer. Like, I'm trying to quit smoking cigarettes so that was my alternative," said Stovall.

He still though does not know how it happened but the explosion took a good portion of the skin on his right leg with it.

"I'm second degree burned down here and I think third up here," he said, pointing to his leg.

He's being treated at the Arizona Burn Center at Maricopa Integrated Health System. Doctors there say this is the second e-cig explosion case they've treated this year.

[RELATED: Vaporizer fire sends Valley man to burn unit (GRAPHIC VIDEO)]

"It's good that he thought quickly to, you know, put that out," said Sabrina Forrest, Stovall's mom.

She's not happy that her son's alternative to smoking cigarettes nearly killed him.

"I thought it's checked for safety or anything like that before it's put out on the market but obviously it's not because it happened," she said.

That's why she wanted to get his story out there.

"So that everyone can know that this can actually happen where you have it in your pocket and you're going about your daily day and all of a sudden you can possibly catch on fire," said Forrest.

Stovall is set to have surgery on Thursday and the recovery from there could take weeks or more.

"If you're going to quit smoking cigarettes, just quit smoking cigarettes. Don't go to anything else," Stovall said.

Copyright 2016 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Recommended for you