Executive Chef Charles Wiley of Hearth 61 at Mountain Shadows Resort shares a flavorful salad for any occasion.
• 1 cup sun-dried cranberries
• 1/2 cup of olive oil
• 1 small onion, diced
• 3/4 pounds of shiitake mushrooms, cleaned, sliced
• To taste kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1-1/2 cups of pecans, toasted
• 3 tablespoons of parsley, chopped
• 2 oranges, segments and zest
• 1 teaspoon of dijon mustard
• 3 tablespoons of lemon juice
• 2 cups of wild rice, cooked
• 1 cup of short grain brown rice (substitute wheat berries if available), cooked
• 2 green onions, sliced
Place the cranberries in a small bowl.
Cover with hot water and soak 15 minutes, drain.
Heat 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
Add onion and sauté 5 minutes until it begins to brown.
Add mushrooms; season with salt and pepper.
Sauté until the mushrooms release their liquid, then continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated.
Transfer to a mixing bowl and stir in the pecans, parsley, orange and half of the cranberries.
Whisk the remaining olive oil with the mustard and lemon juice.
Season with salt and pepper.
Combine the grains in a separate bowl and dress with the lemon vinaigrette.
Fold the mushroom mixture into the grains and check seasoning.
Sprinkle with the remaining cranberries and green onions.
Serve warm or at room temperature.