Owner and Chef Lori Hashimoto from Hana Japanese Eatery shares a recipe for carmelized pork.
• 1 1/2 tablespoon of cooking oil
• 1/2 onion, finely diced (brown, white or yellow) (~1/2 cup)
• 2 teaspoons of ginger, grated or minced
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 Thai chili (whole, dried)
• 1 pound of ground pork
• 5 tablespoons of brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons of fish sauce
Heat the oil in a large skillet over high heat.
Add the onion, ginger, garlic and chili and cook for 2 minutes.
Add the pork mince and cook for 2 minutes or so until white all over, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon.
Add the sugar and fish sauce. Stir, then leave it to cook without touching until all the juices cook out and the pork starts caramelised - about 2 minutes.
Then stir it and leave it again, without stirring, for around 30 seconds to get more caramelization.
Repeat twice more until caramelized to your taste.
Serve over rice or vermicelli noodles, garnished with sliced scallions/shallots.
Serve with chunks of plain cucumber and carrots on the side which is a classic way of making Vietnamese bowls.