Owner and Chef Lori Hashimoto from Hana Japanese Eatery shares a recipe for a tofu burger.
• 1 block (14 ounces) firm tofu
• 1 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
• 1 egg
• 3 stalks green onion sliced thin (rounds)
• 1/4 cup carrot (shredded)
• 1/4 cup shiitake mushroom (diced small)
• 1/4 teaspoon of salt
• 1/8 teaspoon of pepper
• 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil
• All-purpose flour for dusting
• 1 tablespoon of Cooking oil
• Tonkatsu sauce
In a large bowl place tofu and panko together then mash and mix with a fork.
Add egg, green onion, salt, pepper, sesame oil, carrot, shiitake a mix well by hand.
Divide mixture into four patties, lightly dust with flour and set aside.
Place medium size sauté on medium high heat add cooking oil and place your tofu burgers.
Cook on each side for about 4-6 minutes.
Coat with tonkatsu sauce in the pan let caramelize.