Registered Dietitian Jamie Miller from Village Health Clubs & Spas shares a recipe for a tasty sweet dessert.
for the filling
• 4 cups diced strawberries
• 2 cups diced rhubarb
• 1/2 orange, zested and juiced
• 2 tablespoons honey
• 2 tablespoons tapioca starch/flour (or all purpose flour)
• 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
for the crisp topping
• 3/4 cup rolled or quick-cooking oats
• 3/4 cup almond flour
• 3 tablespoons coconut oil or butter
• 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
Optional: yogurt, natural whip topping, or ice cream for serving
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Make the filling by combining strawberries, rhubarb, juice, zest, honey, tapioca starch, and vanilla.
Stir to combine and pour into an 8×8″ (or 2 quart) baking dish.
Make the topping by combining oats, almond flour, coconut oil, syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt.
Mix with two forks or a pastry blender until well combined.
If after a few minutes your mixture is still a bit dry, you can add a little bit more coconut oil OR syrup.
Crumble the topping over the fruit filling. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbling.
Let cool before serving.