Chef Diego from Taco Guild shares a recipe for a fresh beet salad full of wonderful flavors.
• 2 red beets, peeled and cut into wedges
• 2 golden beets, peeled and cut in wedges
• 2 ounces of olive oil
• 2 tablespoons of blackening seasoning
• 1 mango, peeled and diced
• 1 tablespoon of achiote paste
• 1 teaspoon of shallot, finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon of garlic, finely chopped
• 2 ounces of agave syrup
• Salt and pepper
• 1 cup of olive oil
• 2 blood oranges, peeled and cut in wedges
• 4 ounces of goat cheese
• 2 heads of kale
• 1 teaspoon of mixed herbs (rosemary, mint, basil, cilantro), finely chopped
• Fennel bulb, finely sliced or shaved on a madoline slicer
Make the dressing: In a blender place the mango, achiote paste, shallots, garlic and agave syrup. While blending add 1 cup of olive oil very slowly. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Roast the beets: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place the peeled and cut beets in a mixing bowl. Add 2 ounces of olive oil and the blackening seasoning. Mix well, place on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until fork tender. Allow to cool.
Grill sliced blood oranges. If you don’t have a grill, you can use a sauté pan. The key is to sear and caramelize at a high temperature.
Place the goat cheese in a mixing bowl. Add the herbs and mix well.
Wash the kale carefully and remove the stems. Julienne the leaves (cut into thin strips).
Place the kale in a mixing bowl, add the sliced fennel and the dressing (save 2 ounces of the dressing). Mix well while massaging the kale.
Place the kale mixture in the center of the plate. Add the beets and oranges around the kale one at the time. Drizzle the rest of the dressing on top the entire salad and place the cheese on top for garnish.