Owner and Chef Danielle Leoni from The Breadfruit & Rum Bar shares a simple recipe for polenta.
• 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil
• 1/4 cup of garlic, minced
• 12 grams of thyme picked
• 1.8 ounces of basil, chopped
• 4 cups of tomato, sliced into specs
• 4 cups of scallion, 2 inch long
• 4 cups of yellow onion, sliced into specs
• 1/4 cup of ginger root, minced
• 1 cup of J. Wray Gold
• 4 1/4 cup of coconut milk
• 24 cups of water
• 1/4 cup of black pepper
• 1/4 cup of salt
• 2 tablespoons of pimento, finely ground
• 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon of turmeric
• 8 cups of cornmeal
In brazier, add the 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil to sauté garlic and thyme until garlic is golden.
Add basil, tomato, scallion, onion and ginger. Sauté all ingredients until onion is soft.
Remove all vegetables & reserve.
Add Rum, coconut milk, water, black pepper, salt, pimento, raw sugar, 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil and turmeric.
Stir well. Cover to bring to boil.
Turn off heat.
Sift in cornmeal SLOWLY and whisk constantly until combined.
Turn on low and whisk for 10 minutes.
Turn off heat and mix in reserved vegetables.
Remove from stove.
Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
Refrigerate to cool.