Chef Sasha Raj from 24 Carrots Natural Cafe shares a recipe for a lentil dip.
• 2 cups lentils, cooked and cooled
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1/2 red onion (medium)
• 1 large bell pepper
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste
• 1 tablespoon maple syrup
• 1 tablespoon cumin
• 1 tablespoon ground ginger
• 1 tablespoon turmeric
• 1 tablespoon ground coriander
• 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
• 1 lemon, juiced (small)
• chopped herbs (cilantro, parsley and oregano)
• salt and pepper, to taste
• extra virgin olive oil
In a food processor, pulse vegetables, tomato paste, garlic, onion, spices, maple syrup and lemon juice together, till well combined and a fine paste.
Mix this paste into the cooled lentils, top generously with olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and top with fresh herbs and serve with warm pita bread.