Co-Owner and Chef Justin Beckett of Beckett's Table and Southern Rail shares a recipe for a wonderful salad.
• 2 heads little gem lettuces - cleaned
• 1/2 cantaloup melon
• 1 large jicama - shaved thin
• 1 bulb of fennel - shaved thin
• 1/2 english cucumber - shaved thin
• 5-10 leaves basil
• 5-10 leaves mint
• fresh lemon juice
• extra virgin olive oil
• salt and pepper
• 10-15 leaves of mint
• 10-15 large leaves of basil
• 2 stalks green onion
• 1 cup salad oil
• juice from 1/2 of a lemon
• 2 tablespoons toasted and chopped pistachio
• 1 Fresno chili ( diced very small)
• 1 small piece of ginger (fine grated)
• 1 small clove of garlic
• pinch of salt and pepper
Shave the the melon, fennel, cucumber and jicama very fine on a mandolin place in a bowl with lettuce and herbs.
Toss together with lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil season with salt and pepper.
Place the pesto on the plate and top with the salad enjoy this refreshing salad.
Place all ingredients except the oil and Fresno chili into a blender.
Add in the oil while the blender is mixing on a slow speed blend just until the pesto is combined do not over-blend.
Remove from blender and mix in the diced Fresno chili.