Registered Dietitian Jamie Miller from The Village Health Clubs shares a recipe for a jalapeno poppers.
• 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/2 cup white onion, thinly sliced
• 4 jalapenos, thinly sliced OR 1 can (4.5oz) mild green chiles
• 1/2 cup frozen spinach OR 4 firmly packed cups fresh baby spinach
• 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1 1/2 cups liquid egg whites
• 5 eggs
• 3/4 cup cottage cheese
• 4 ounces cooked turkey bacon, deli turkey or ham, canadian bacon, etc.
• 1/2 cup 2% shredded cheddar or mozzarella cheese
In an medium skillet, heat olive oil at medium heat.
Add onions and jalapenos, and saute until onions are softened (1-2 minute).
Add spinach and stir and continue to cook until wilted, about 3-4 minutes.
Add salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
Turn off heat and let the vegetables cool.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs and egg whites, then stir in cottage cheese and meat of choice. Add in cooled sauteed veggies.
Pour mixture into a greased 9 inch baking dish.
Top with shredded cheese.
Bake at 350F for 45-60 minutes until your eggs are set and the top is beginning to brown.