Owner and Chef Perry Rea from Queen Creek Olive Mill shares a recipe for a fresh citrus salad full of wonderful flavors.
• 2 small navel oranges
• 2 Valencia oranges
• 2 blood oranges
• 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
• 1/2 cup (2 3/4 oz./85 g) Marcona almonds, lightly toasted and chopped
• Queen Creek Olive Mill Delicate Extra-virgin olive oil for drizzling
• Queen Creek Olive Mill Fig Balsamic Reduction
• Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
• Small fresh mint leaves for garnish
Working with 1 orange at a time, cut off about 1/2 inch from both the top and bottom to expose the flesh.
Place the orange, cut side down, on the cutting board.
Using your knife, remove the peel, following the contour of the fruit and making sure to remove all the white pith.
Cut the fruit crosswise into 1/4-inch slices.
Arrange the orange slices on a serving platter, overlapping them slightly.
Scatter the onion slices and almonds on top and drizzle generously with olive oil and then with the Fig Balsamic Reduction.
Season with salt and pepper and garnish with mint leaves.