PHOENIX, AZ (3TV/CBS5)- Toys are a hot topic for the holiday season and many are wondering which toy is worth the purchase. The Arizona Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing (ACDHH) suggests that parents have a clear option when it's between the choice of a noisy toy or a safe toy.
Michele Michaels of the ACDHH compiled a list on what is considered the top noisiest toys on the market in comparison to those labeled "safe" and "super safe."
Toys are considered "noisy" if it reaches a sound level of 85 dB or higher consistently.
[RELATED: 6 hot toys on the market for the holidays]
Topping the noisy toys list:
1. Black and Decker Junior Leaf Blower, 113.8 dB, ages 3+
2. Marvel Avengers Infinity War Infinity Gauntlet Electronic Fist, 108.5 dB, ages 5+
3. My Little Pony Singing Rainbow Dash, 108.4 dB, ages 3+
4. VTech Go! Go! Smart Wheels Minnie Convertible, 107 dB, ages 1-5
5. Star Wars: The Last Jedi Bladebuilders Electronic Riot Baton, 106.3 dB, ages 4+
6. B.toys Woofer Hound Dog Guitar, 106.2 dB, ages 2+
7. Marvel Avengers Infinity War Mission Tech Iron Man, 106.1 dB, ages 4+
8. Fisher-Price Sing & Learn Music Player, 105.6 dB, ages 6 months-3 years
9. Fisher-Price Bright Beats Spin & Crawl Tumble Ball, 104 dB, ages 9 months+
10. Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Puppy's Busy Activity Home 103.7 dB, ages 6 -36 months
11. B. toys Meowsic Keyboard, 103.4 dB, ages 2+
12. B. toys YouTurns Steering Wheel, 103.3 dB, ages 1-5
13. Fisher-Price Rock 'n Sort Snail Pail, 103 dB, ages 6 months+
14. Marvel Black Panther Slash & Strike Erik Killmonger Figure, 101.6 dB, ages 4+
15. VTech Pull and Discover Activity Elephant, 100.3 dB, ages 1-3
16. Fisher-Price Shimmer & Shine Tummy Rubs Nazboo, 100.7 dB, ages 3+
17. VTech Drill & Learn Toolbox, 99 dB, ages 2-5
18. Spider-Man Homecoming Super Sense Spider-Man, 99 dB, ages 5+
19. VTech Sort & Discover Drum, 98.8 dB, ages 6 months-36 months
20. Playskool Friends Sesame Street Tickle Me Elmo, 90 dB, ages 18 months-4 years
Safe toys list:
1. Driven Micro Fire Truck, small, 85 dB, ages 4+
2. Transformers Bumblebee Greatest Hits FX, 85 dB, ages 5+
3. VTech Care for Me Learning Carrier, 85 dB, ages 9 -36 months
4. Nella the Princess Knight Transforming, 85 dB, ages 3+
5. Duck Tales 7" plush Huey, 85 dB, newborn+
6. Disney's Doc McStuffins Baby Take Care of Me Nursery Pal, 85 dB, age 3+
7. Peppa Pig Princess n' Oink plush, 82 dB, ages 18 months+
8. Fisher-Price Smart Stages plush, 82 dB, ages 6 -36 months
9. Hasbro furReal Snifflin' Sawyer, 79 dB, ages 4+
10. Leap Frog My Pal Scout plush 75 dB, ages 6 -36 months
Super Safe Toys:
1. VTech Drop & Go Dump Truck 66 dB ages 6 -36 months
2. Fisher-Price Sweet Sounds Bunny 62 dB ages newborn+
Parents and family are advised to stay away from toys that are dangerously noisy as it could cause hearing concerns in the child's future.
“It is important to consider how the child will use the toy,” said Michaels. ‘Children aren’t always using these toys at arm’s length as they may be intended. It’s also important to consider the decibel levels of other sounds around the child in addition to the toy, such as the television, kids yelling or other toys. These factors can quickly add up and cause hearing loss.”
Purchasing toys on the "safe" or "super safe" list is recommended over those that are on the noisy list. As sound is a part of most toys, ACDHH says you can turn the volume down to the lowest level to avoid too much noise.
The list provided is not all-inclusive. Free smartphone apps are available to test the sound level of any and all toys.
"ACDHH serves as a statewide information referral center for issues related to people with hearing loss and aspires to be a national leader in communication access, support services and community empowerment throughout the state. The purpose of the organization, and its commissioners, is to ensure, in partnership with the public and private sector, accessibility for the deaf and hard of hearing to improve their quality of life."