Field Trip Friday: Scottsdale
Scottsdale: The Coach House
Arguably Scottsdale's favorite spot, the Coach House is a rustic-looking wooden-walled watering hole with a divey vibe and storied past. It's known as Scottsdale's oldest tavern, established in 1959, and has been owned by the same family since. And, Christmas in these parts is kind of a big deal! So, much so, that rumor has it that the staff begin setting up holiday lights and decor the day after Halloween. To get into the Holiday spirit, and you're looking for a little help, look no further than The Coach House! They also hold a Holiday Toy Drive each year, and it begins this weekend.
For more information: https://www.coachhousescottsdale.com/
The Coach House-7011 E. Indian School Rd., Scottsdale AZ 85251
Amery Bohling / Landscape Artist
You can't talk about downtown Scottsdale without talking about art. The historic Art District, in the heart of the downtown, is pedestrian-friendly, and home to some 70 galleries and museums. We check out one of them on Main Street, owned by featured artist Amery Bohling, who is one of the foremost Grand Canyon painters in the world.
Amery Bohling is a talented landscape painter who studied art at the University of Arizona, the Marchutz School of Art in Aiz en Provence, France and Scottsdale Artists' School. She won the California Art Club's Emerging Artist Award in 2006 and is a member of various art societies.
For more information: https://www.amerybohling.com/
Scottsdazzle Holiday Event Returns to the City of Scottsdale
As the holiday season approaches, the City of Scottsdale's elves are busy planning yet another fabulous annual Scottsdazzle holiday extravaganza. The event delights local residents and out of town visitors alike with a month of celebratory festivities leading up to the December holidays.
- On Saturday, December 8 from 3:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., 5th Avenue is transformed into Sugar Plum Avenue a fairytale village including sugar plum fairies, princesses, a Snow King and Snow Queen, aerial performances, carriage rides, candy land bounce houses, Nutcracker ballet performances each hour and a brand-new tea party in the street.
- On that same day from 4:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., the Miracle of Roses Pageant takes place at the Old Adobe Mission.
- Scottsdale's popular Gold Palette Artwalk on Thursday, December 13 from 6:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. celebrates the city's finest art galleries, with special holiday Scottsdazzle flair! Guests can peruse the quaint streets of Old Town while mingling with local artists in their own studios/galleries and shopping for the perfect gift. Strolling carolers, and refreshments are sure to get guests in the seasonal spirit.
- On Saturday, December 15, wine and beer aficionados can enjoy the Santa Wine Around and Ale Trail from 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m., with special discounts and a commemorative wine glass or beer mug, for those who come dressed as Santa, Mrs. Claus or even an elf!
- The new free Java Jingle Crawl from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m. on Saturday, December 22, featuring experiences, tastings and more at six local coffee shops.
- In addition to the special signature events, Scottsdazzle includes weekly events such as the Old Town Farmers Market every Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. featuring handcrafted gifts, fresh locally grown produce and artisan products that will make for one-of-a-kind holiday gift giving. On Saturday evenings from 7:00-8:30 p.m., the Canal Concert Series at Soleri Bridge showcases the festive holiday sounds of local talent such as the Phoenix Boys Choir, Campanillas del Sol Handbell Ensemble and more. A different Culinary Demonstration is also offered each Saturday during Scottsdazzle including restaurants such as Barrio Queen and Super Chunk Sweets.
Many merchants and restaurants in the Old Town area will be offering holiday specials, cocktails, discounts and much more during Scottsdazzle! Scottsdazzle.com will serve as a community resource and directory for these events and offers, with updates being added as new events and offers are available.
For more information visit www.scottsdazzle.com.
Segway of Scottsdale
There are lots of ways to see the sights in old town Scottsdale, and for one of the best tours, why not get on a Segway? It's not easy for everyone, but once you've mastered it, it's a ton of fun! And, during the Month of December Segway of Scottsdale is offering a Christmas lights tour of the city. There's nothing quite like riding a Segway in Scottsdale, in the evening during the holiday season.
This year they are currently offering 4 incredible Segway tours. Our most popular Segway tour is in Old Town Scottsdale. You will use a state of the art audio system to hear your tour guide's historical narration and the occasional catchy tune while you glide on a Scottsdale Segway. Your tour guide will give you lots of ideas of places to see and things to do while in Scottsdale, Arizona, so we recommend taking one of our tours on your first day visiting. Some of the sites that we see are the Scottsdale Waterfront, Scottsdale Civic Center Park, Main Street, the historic Little Red School House and Robert Indiana's Love Sign.
For more information: https://www.segwayofscottsdale.com/
Scottsdale: Top Marks Cafe
You'll find some of the cutest shops in and around the downtown Scottsdale area, such as Top Marks Cafe. It's a bit hidden and tucked away inside "Frontier Town" on Main Street. But, it's a place worth checking out. Come in and say hello to owner Jane Marks, and if she doesn't steal your heart with her gelato and crepes, her lovely accent, surely will.
The cafe serves French Crepes, Italian Coffee and Gelato and Italian Panini Sandwiches. I believe strongly in using the most natural ingredients. I have just introduced chemical free sodas as well as using organic products and GMO-free meats.
Their smoked salmon is free from all antibiotics and raised organically. The Gelato uses growth hormone free dairy, fresh fruit and pure cane syrup. Real Belgium chocolate, French sea salt and authentic dulce de leche used.
For more information: https://www.topmarkscafe.com/
Top Marks Cafe-7240 E Main St, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Scottsdale: The Rusty Spur Saloon
The Rusty Spur Saloon is a Scottsdale destination. It's a must stop to take in the Old West décor and Scottsdale live country music. It's located right on Main Street in Old Town Scottsdale. And, don't forget to look for the cowpoke in the red shirt with his lasso.
Kick up your spurs This place is straight-up Boot Scuffed Western! The Rusty Spur Saloon, in Old Town Scottsdale, is celebrating over 60 years of bringing out that inner Cowboy and Cowgirl. The Rusty Spur Saloon, in Old Town Scottsdale, is celebrating over 60 years of bringing out that inner Cowboy and Cowgirl, that everyone possesses. A great time for all is practically guaranteed.
For more information: www.rustyspursaloon.com
Rusty Spur Saloon -7245 E Main Street, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Scottsdale: Saba's Western Wear
There is so much history in Old Town Scottsdale, for instance, did you know Scottsdale's original name in 1894 was "Orangedale"? And, did you know Saba's has been in the Valley for over 90 years? This western shop is iconic, founded in 1927. It's Arizona's Original Western Store where you can pick up boots, jeans, hats, and belts, and it's still owned and operated by the Saba family, a 90-year tradition. It's a must-stop to your visit to Scottsdale, and make no mistake, that amazing smell of leather alone is enough to lure you in.
For more information: http://oldtownscottsdale.com/sabas-western-wear/
Saba's Western Wear-7254 E Main Street, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Scottsdale: Sound Art™
Sound Art™ introduces an entirely new way to listen to music in your home, letting you enjoy personalized, custom artwork, as well high-performance, wireless sound. Enjoy beautiful and amazing sound throughout your home while redefining your home entertainment system. Sound Art™ elegantly hidden behind a high-grade textured canvas wrap, brings together the best of engineering and design. This innovative product provides you with the high-quality sound you expect, without any electrical wires, sound cables or bulky speakers. This perfect balance of beauty and performance is something we call, Sound Art™.
For more information: https://www.soundartusa.com/
Sound Art-7240 E Main St, Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Scottsdale: Arizona Party Bike
A fun way to explore the bar scene downtown is to jump on the Arizona Party Bike for a pedal pub crawl. They'll cruise you to 3 pubs, but hold on tight, you've got to do some pedaling. And if you're working up a sweat, no problem, you can actually bring your own beer and wine onboard the two-hour tour. How is this much fun legal?
With a rockin' sound system, LED party lights, an electric helper motor, the party bike is perfect for partying with your friends, birthdays, bachelor parties and bachelorette parties, company teambuilders, family reunions, days and nights out, special events or just for fun! Reserve a private pedal tavern party or grab seats on a guided pedal bar crawl today and don't forget to bring your favorite beer and wine! Book your pedal pub party in downtown Scottsdale, Tucson, Phoenix and Tempe!
The pedal pub holds up to 15 people for private parties. For groups that need more than one bar bike or extended time, please give us a call. Smaller groups can book individual seats on a pedal pub crawl!
For more information: https://www.arizonapartybike.com/
Scottsdale: Sugar Bowl
Did you know the Sugar Bowl is turning 60 years old this month?! For generations the Huntress family has been scooping out their favorite ice cream flavors but what really put them on the map nationwide? You might remember the newspaper toons, Family Circus. It was all thanks to Paradise Valley resident Bill Keane, who created the cartoon and really knew how to capture those nostalgic family moments.
For more information: http://www.sugarbowlscottsdale.com/ or phone: 480-946-0051
Sugar Bowl-4005 N Scottsdale Rd. Scottsdale, AZ 85251
Scottsdale's free trolley system links residents and visitors to entertainment, restaurants, shopping, schools, parks and health services. Riders can transfer between four trolley routes, the free Tempe Orbit Earth links to external site route and Valley Metro links to external site bus and routes.
- 10am to 9:25pm
- Every 15 minutes
- Cost: Free
- Connections: 68th Street/Camelback Route
For more information: https://www.scottsdaleaz.gov/trolley
Dental Mission of Mercy
Central Arizona Dental Society (CADS) is a large-scale dental clinic where dental treatment is provided at no cost to individuals who cannot access and/or afford dental care. The event is taking place at the Arizona State Fairgrounds Dec. 7th and Dec. 8th This event is completely volunteer driven and is possible because of the generous support of CADS partners.
Who Should Come?
- Adults and children
- If you do not have enough money to pay for dental care
- If you do not have a regular dentist
- Friday, December 7, 2018
- Saturday, December 8, 2018
- Arizona State Fairgrounds, Phoenix Arizona
- 1826 W. McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85007
- Come early! We'll open the clinic doors at 6:00 am.
- No appointments will be taken or are necessary.
- Patients are seen on a first come first served basis.
- The number of patients seen will be limited by clinic capacity.
- Please Note: Fire arms, alcohol and drugs are NOT permitted on the fairgrounds.
For more information: https://www.azmom.org/about/
Shari Rowe new Christmas single "Home For Christmas (Underneath The Desert Sky)"
"Home For Christmas" is about Christmas time in the Southwest inspired by her own childhood in Arizona.
Her music video will be premiering on The Country Network & will be coming out next week
She will be performing Celebrity Fight Night's Bicycles For Kids event (7000 N Central Ave, Phoenix, AZ 85020, USA, Phoenix, AZ) on Saturday, Dec 8th in Phoenix, as well as at Boot Barn in Scottsdale (8698 E Raintree Dr, Scottsdale, AZ 85260) on Sunday, Dec 9 at 1:00pm
Holiday Hero Palooza
Afternoon of family fun and entertainment to honor the REAL HEROES OF ARIZONA, our Veterans, Law Enforcement, First Responders and Fire Department in Queen Creek (26211 South Power Road 85142) from 11am-4pm on Saturday, Dec. 8th.
- There will be food trucks, live entertainment, face painting, raffles, balloon twisting, games, vendors, music and more. Don't miss this chance to enjoy a fun filled afternoon with some of the world's greatest heroes and villains. There will be a different live show every hour followed by characters providing unforgettable photo opportunities for you and your whole family!
- Admission Tickets $15
- law enforcement/fire/first responders/veterans $5 off
For more information: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/holiday-hero-palooza-2018-tickets-50546813881