PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5)--This Fourth of July, have your cake and eat it too!What about the drinks?
Phoenix foodie Heather Walker has some delish recipes this Fourth of July.
For more great recipe ideas, visit phoenixfamilyfoodie.com.
4th of July Fault Line Cake
• 2 six-inch cakes, cut horizontally into 1” layers
• 1 four-inch cake, cut horizontally into 1” layers
• 5 cups of vanilla frosting
• 1 cup Red icing
• 1 cup Blue icing
• 1 cup red, white, blue candy decorations
• 2 cups fresh strawberries
• 2 cups fresh blueberries
• Frost the all of the cake layers with the vanilla frosting. Place two of the six-inch layers onto a serving dish. Place the four-inch cake on top of the six-inch cake.
• Fill the space between the two layers with the candy or fruit. Place the remaining six-inch cake on top of the four-inch cake.
• To create the fault line effect, place some of the red and blue icing over the sides of the two six-inch cakes and use a straight edge to blend it into the white frosting. Leave the edges rough at the top and bottom to make the cake look like it’s been broken apart in the center.
The Bomb Pop
• 2 oz. Smirnoff Red, White and Berry Vodka
• 4 oz. Lemon Lime Soda (Sprite)
• ½ oz. Grenadine
• ½ oz. Blue Curacao
Measure the vodka and soda into a shaker filled with ice. Shake and pour into an 8 oz. glass filled with ice. Gently pour in the grenadine and wait for it to sink to the bottom. Gently float the Blue Curacao on top. Serve immediately.
The Banana Split Martini
• 3 oz. Banana Liqueur
• 3 oz. Rum Chata
• Chocolate Syrup
• Strawberry Syrup
• Whipped Cream
• Maraschino Cherries
Pour the chocolate and strawberry syrup around the edges of an 8oz. martini glass. Measure the Rum Chata and the Banana Liqueur into a shaker filled with ice. Pour into the martini glass. Garnish with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry. Serve immediately.
Easy Peasy Pina Colada
• 3 oz. Pineapple Juice
• 3 oz. Malibu Coconut Flavored Rum
• Pineapple slices
• Paper Umbrellas
Measure the pineapple juice and the Malibu Rum into a shaker filled with ice. Pour over an 8oz. glass filled with ice. Garnish with a pineapple wedge and a paper umbrella. Serve immediately.