(Meredith/WSMV) -- Two people barely escaped a house fire in Tennessee after mistaking the smoke alarm for movie sound effects. 

"They heard the smoke alarm going off and thought it was part of a movie they were watching, " Murfreesboro Fire & Rescue Dept. Battalion Chief Mark McCluskey told WSMV. "They muted the television and kept hearing the alarm, so they investigated and quickly got outside to call 9-1-1."

The attached garage of the home on Janell Trail was fully involved in a fire that was quickly spreading into the house.

Crews responded to the home just before 6 a.m. and were able to put out the fire quickly, but McCluskey said the house received significant smoke damage and the garage will likely be a total loss.

The residents were able to get one of their dogs safely out of the home with them. Their other dog took off out the back door, but the owners located it later unharmed.

While officials said the cause of the fire appears to be accidental, the Fire Marshal's Office was called to the scene to conduct a routine investigation.

Copyright 2018 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.