BUCKEYE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - A man is dead after an officer-involved shooting in Buckeye on Christmas. 

Buckeye Police Department spokeswoman Donna Rossi on Wednesday identified that man as 34-year-old Antonio Ramos and said he was armed with three handguns and a rifle, all of which were semi-automatic.

It started as a domestic violence call between a man and woman and her boyfriend just after 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday in the Acacia Crossing neighborhood  near Yuma and Watson roads.

While officers were heading there, dispatchers heard what they thought was a gunshot.

When officers got there, they got the girlfriend, the mother and two kids out of the house, according to police.

Officers got the boyfriend (Ramos) on the phone and evacuated the other woman and the two children.

Police said Ramos was threatening suicide while on the phone with officers and then a shot was heard.

A short time later, Ramos came out of the house and opened fire at officers, police said.

Several officers fired back; Ramos was found dead in the driveway, police said.

No officers or bystanders are hurt.

"The initial investigation revealed Ramos was armed with at least four weapons, three semi-automatic handguns and one high-powered semi-automatic rifle," said in a news release Wednesday. "It is estimated he fired more than two dozen rounds at officers, many of the bullets striking the home across the street, which thankfully, was unoccupied."

The three officers who fire at Ramos have been placed on administrative leave, which is standard procedure in any officer-involved shooting.

[MAP: Officer-involved shootings in the Valley]

It was the 75th officer-involved shooting in the Valley for 2018.

The house across the street from where the suspect was found dead in the driveway had at least 30 bullet holes.

Neighbors told AZ Family the people who lived there recently moved out. The house is vacant, so nobody was there when the bullets pierced the stucco.

One neighbor said a SWAT team sniper went inside his house. Before that happened, he said, "It was loud… way too many shots."

Another neighbor described hearing gunshots, ducking to the ground and hiding in a back bedroom. Her husband said police were hiding behind their palm tree.

"It was pretty terrifying, I’m not going to lie," she said. "I was scared. Because we didn’t know what was happening."

Neighbors spent the late morning after Christmas checking on each other and comparing damage.

"We’re all just talking. We’re just trying to make sure everyone is okay."


Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.



Content Producer

Recommended for you

(1) comment


"No officers have been injured". physically, anyway. That's what we like to see

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.