TUCSON, AZ (AP) -  A man arrested in last week’s killing of a deputy U.S. marshal in Tucson has been ordered held without bond, authorities said Tuesday.

A spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Arizona said a federal magistrate ordered Ryan Phillip Schlesinger to remain behind bars pending a grand jury hearing.

Deputy U.S. Marshal Chase White was shot Thursday night while serving a fugitive arrest warrant. White, 41, died later at a hospital.

The U.S. Marshals Service said the gathering to remember White will be Friday at the Tucson Convention Center. White was shot when he and other members of the Marshals Service were outside a home in northern Tucson to deliver a warrant to Ryan Phillip Schlesinger for stalking a female police sergeant.

[RELATED: Police release mugshot of man accused of killing U.S. marshal in Tucson]

After an hourlong standoff, Schlesinger emerged wearing body armor and was arrested on a warrant accusing him of first-degree murder of a federal officer. He could face the death penalty or life in prison. A public defender did not return an email seeking comment.

The initial warrant against Schlesinger, 26, sought his arrest for stalking a female police sergeant after she seized a handgun and ammunition from him last year.

[RELATED: Man accused of killing deputy U.S. Marshal reportedly had history of threats against officers]

The suspect had recently visited the Tucson Police Department, where he confronted the sergeant, then filed an online complaint about last year’s seizure of his weapon, demanding that she and other officers be “arrested” and warning against the possibility of a “shootout at the OK Corral,” authorities said in a complaint.

Raised in central Illinois, White had been with the U.S. Marshals Service since 2015. He was on active duty in the Air Force from 2000 to 2007 and was currently a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force Reserve, serving with the 926th Wing at Nellis Air Force Base, Nevada. He was set to leave for a deployment this week.

The Marshals Service said the deputy U.S. marshal was the first killed in the line of duty in Tucson in 66 years.

White, 41, is survived by a wife and four children.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

© 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.