PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -- One person was killed and seven others were hurt in a shooting at a downtown Phoenix hotel early Sunday morning. The victim who died has been identified as 21-year-old, Jaziah Shakor Causey.

According to Phoenix police, officers responded to reports of a shooting at the Hyatt Regency hotel downtown near Third and Van Buren streets around 12:30 a.m.

Police say a fight broke out among a group of people between 18 and 22 years old. They were attending a birthday party inside the hotel. 

"Out of nowhere, they told me to turn off the music," said AJ Warren, who was  DJing the event. "And I see helicopters flying around... and I look outside. I stop the music. And there's cops everywhere."

"A lot went through my head," Warren continued. "What are they going to do? Are they going to barge into the room? It was a lot."

Emergency responders found one man dead inside the hotel, and took 6 other men and one woman to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

downtown Phoenix shooting

For hotel guests, it was a lot to take in. "At about 1 o'clock, the hotel operator called us and told us to stay in the room... and not to come out of the room," said hotel guests Bruce Love. "So we knew something was going on... but we had no idea this would be the result." Video from the scene showed officers escorting two young men who appeared to be in handcuffs. It's not clear how or even if those men might have been involved in the shooting.

Neither the Phoenix Police Department nor the Hyatt said where in the hotel the shooting happened. But a survivor who asked us only to use her nickname "Nonnie" says the shooting happened in a crowded elevator. Nonnie went to the hotel with her cousins to attend a birthday celebration. She says they got into the elevator with a group of people they did not know.

"I had a feeling like I wish I didn't get in with all these people, but they had a key, you know. It's the only way to get up there," says Nonnie. Seconds later, Nonnie says, chaos broke out when one man started arguing with another man, pulled a gun, and opened fire. When the elevator door opened, Nonnie says, she crawled out looking for cover. The terrifying images of that night still haunt her.

"I saw my cousin was, like, bleeding out," says Nonnie. "I saw other people who were shot, like, shot in the legs just sitting there just waiting for help." Nonnie says two of her cousins were shot. One is now recovering at home while the other, a 17-year-old girl, is still in the hospital but in otherwise good spirits.

After taking the injured to the hospital and securing the area, officers and hotel staff decided not to evacuate any of the rooms or the building. We talked to the hotel manager Sunday, and he told us that the hotel is open, and is safe for all guests.

No arrests have been made. Phoenix Police say they continue to interview witnesses about what happened.

Copyright 2021 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.


Recommended for you