PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - Phoenix police have released surveillance video of an incident involving two shoplifters who escaped from an Ace Hardware after a bystander shot at them, but missed, hitting a store manager. 

It happened around 9 a.m. on Jan. 30 at the Howard's Ace Hardware near Indian School Road and 32nd Street. 
Surveillance video shows two men backing into a parking spot in front of the store and then walking in separately. They're in the store for a little more than 10 minutes. From the cameras inside, you can see the men walking out side-by-side, carrying buckets full of items. They glance at each other and then make a break for it. 
By this point, employees were catching on to what was happening and were trying to stop it. The video shows a manager in a white shirt running outside of the store. The two shoplifters are running towards their car, and one tries to get into the passenger side door when a woman, who is off camera, shoots at them. The bullet ends up hitting the manager in his leg. 
"Even though she's trying to do a citizen's arrest or be a good person and helping here, under our law, you still had to use reasonable judgement, you can't just fire a weapon," said attorney Benjamin Taylor, who is not affiliated with this case. 
Nya Reyes, 46, was booked on charges of aggravated assault and discharging a firearm within city limits. 
"Best case scenario would have been just to call the police and let the police handle it because she was so far away from the scene she really doesn't have any right to make a citizen's arrest because she was so far away," explained Taylor.  "Because they were fleeing away, she can't just take out a weapon under our law and shoot a person because you have a chance of shooting other people who are innocent." 
The owner of Howard's Ace says that the manager still has not been able to return to work. He says the bullet shattered his knee and right now he's going to physical therapy to hopefully one day be able to walk again. 
At the time Reyes was arrested, the shoplifters were still at large. Arizona's Family reached out to Phoenix police for an update, but haven't heard back. 

Copyright 2021 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.


Recommended for you