TEMPE, AZ (3TV/CBS5) -- A murder suspect is dead after sparking an hours-long standoff with Gilbert and Tempe police departments on Monday.

The northbound lanes of Priest Drive were closed at Broadway Road after a man barricaded himself inside his vehicle. 

[WATCH: Murder suspects shoots himself, dies at hospital following standoff in Tempe]

According to Gilbert police, 26-year-old Alfredo Armando Prieto Jr., the suspect of a recent homicide, was located by their detectives in Tempe around 10 a.m.

[PHOTOS: Barricade situation at Motel 6 in Tempe involved Gilbert suspect]

Police say the suspect has been on the run after he shot and killed 55-year-old Jesus Granillo-Garcia of Gilbert in his car near Cooper and Guadalupe roads Friday. 

[WATCH: Murder suspect dead after shooting himself outside Tempe motel, police say]

"As soon as this homicide happened, our detectives were pretty much working around the clock to determine who the suspect was. We were able to identify a potential suspect which brought us to today's incident," said Sgt. Mark Marino, with the Gilbert Police Department. 

[PREVIOUS STORY: Police looking for 'armed and dangerous' murder suspect in Gilbert]

Our chopper over the scene captured SWAT and police vehicles surrounding the suspect's vehicle outside of a motel parking lot. 

Police said Prieto Jr. talked to negotiators for the first couple of hours.

Many people who were staying in the motel were not able to leave their rooms for the duration of the standoff situation. 

"My whole thing is safety. I don't care what's going on out there, that's why there's cops here, they can handle that," said Neshia Jae, who was held up in her room. "But at the same time, are we going to be sitting here and a bullet's going to fly into the room? That's the biggest thing, we've had the kids on the ground most of the time."  

According to Gilbert police, they used tear gas around 2:30 p.m. on the man after he stopped negotiating with them and they heard a single shot from the car and moved in.

"The suspect stopped talking with us and would not respond to any of our questions or contact," Sgt. Marino said. "The gas was deployed and simultaneous to that, a gunshot was heard to officers outside the vehicles."  

Police said no officers fired their weapons but Prieto Jr. had a gunshot wound.

Emergency responders started CPR on him and he was taken to the hospital where he died.

Officers said the sketch of Prieto Jr. was a key part in helping them find and track him.

Police tweeted what the scene looked like while they were there. 


Copyright 2019 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.



Recommended for you