MESA, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -- It's that time of year to put up your Christmas decorations. That's exactly what a Mesa man was doing when he said his kid's favorite ornament exploded. 

[VIDEO: Mesa man goes to ER after Hallmark Christmas ornament explodes]

Paul Lanphear said he was changing the batteries of a Hallmark Christmas ornament when it exploded right in his face. "I guess from now on I'm going to need to wear face protection when I'm changing the ornament batteries. It's just crazy," he said.

The random battery explosion sent Lanphear to the emergency room. He said he was concerned that debris or acid from the battery got into his eyes.

Lanphear said the button batteries were provided by Hallmark along with the ornament. "When you're changing out the button batteries, wear some eye protection," he said.

Lanphear said he reached out to Hallmark to let them know about the exploding batteries. He said the company took down a report on the incident. 

 


Copyright 2019 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

 

Locations

Recommended for you