GLENDALE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - Five-year-old Jason Parry was at preschool at Luke Elementary in Glendale Monday, when his mom Ashley Parry got a voicemail on her phone from his teacher.

The voicemail started out about parent-teacher conferences, but she said about 40 seconds in, his teacher also mentioned she gave Jason ice cream in class because he wanted some.

“My jaw dropped. Honestly, I said out loud, ‘How stupid can you be? This is common sense! Are you kidding me?'” she said angrily.

The problem is, Jason has a severe food allergy called "EoE,” where milk can cause his blood cells to attack his esophagus and stomach. It's a condition his mom said they've discussed several times with his teacher, school nurses and administrators.

“Because he has a milk allergy she knows he’s not allowed to have it,” Ashley said. “We shouldn’t have to worry about sending him to school and worry about his teacher giving him a food he essentially isn’t allowed to have.”

She said sometimes his symptoms can take up to three days to show, usually starting with vomiting, diarrhea and stomach pain.

Not only will Jason need to be monitored by an allergist and gastrointestinal doctor for the next few days, but his parents said something needs to change.

They've pulled Jason out of Luke Elementary completely, and the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office confirmed this is now an active investigation.

At this point, the Parry family's message is simple.

“If you can’t handle something so simple, don’t be a teacher,” said Ashley.

The Dysart Unified School District issued this new statement to Arizona’s Family Tuesday night:

“At Dysart Unified School District, we take the health and safety of our students seriously. As soon as we became aware of this situation, we immediately began to investigate. The investigation is ongoing, and we are working diligently to determine exactly what happened, in order to avoid future incidents like this. We are mindful of the student’s situation and wish them the best.”

 


Copyright 2019 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

 

Locations

Reporter

Recommended for you

(4) comments

sfr8

Allergic to ice cream? Man, sucks to be you, kid.

TRUMP supporter

This is sad that this happened but with a room full of excited little kids, i'm sure the teacher forgot. With the mom calling the teacher stupid is not very kind.This was an accident so nobody should be pointing fingers, just chalk it up as a learning. I am sure the school will ban ice cream parties now so all the other kids will be punished by not having any ice cream.

Dean

Yes ice cream will be banned thanks to one child, just like peanuts and dozens of other things being banned to the point that kids cannot even take a candy bar in their lunch bag. When I was in school there was a girl who had an allergy to chocolate. At that time we were still allowed to bring treats for our birthdays and everyone brought something different for her.

sfr8

Waaaaaaa! Isn't it time for nappies?

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.