SURPRISE, AZ (3TV / CBS 5) - Authorities have identified the four Peoria firefighters who were injured after an explosion occurred while they were working a battery fire at an APS power substation in Surprise Friday night.

[WATCH: 4 Peoria firefighters hurt in explosion expected to recover]

The incident happened around 8 p.m. near Deer Valley Road and Grand Avenue

Surprise Fire Battalion Chief Julie Moore said the initial responding crew consisted of four firefighters from Surprise Fire Department and four firefighters from Peoria Fire Department.  

[WATCH: 8 firefighters in hospital after APS station explosion in Surprise]

When the four Hazmat crew members of the Peoria Fire Department tried to make entry to the substation, an explosion occurred that sent debris scattering across the area.

All eight firefighters were evaluated for injuries while on scene of the explosion. The four injured firefighters from Peoria were taken to area hospitals for treatment.

"I do know it just knocked their helmets and face masks off of their bodies... that's how the one firefighter, the facemask just crushed into his face and off of his face. The helmets are laying (sic) on the ground with all the interior portion of the helmet gone. They're just shells on the ground. It's really a sad sight," said Mike Selmer with the Peoria Fire-Medical Department.

Two of the injured firefighters were flown to the Maricopa County Medical Center for treatment. A third firefighter arrived there by ground ambulance. A fourth injured firefighter was taken to a West Valley hospital.

The four Peoria firemen are identified as Captain Hunter Clare, fire engineer Justin Lopez, firefighter Matt Cottini, and firefighter Jake Ciulla. Three of the men, Clare, Lopez and Cottini remain hospitalized in serious condition. The fourth injured firefighter, Ciulla, has been released from the hospital.

On Saturday, Peoria Fire said that Lopez, the firefighter with the most critical injuries, had a successful surgery.

On Sunday, Peoria fire tweeted that Cottini and Ciulla have been released from the hospital and both are doing really well. 

Two firefighters were re-admitted to the hospital over the weekend. Cottini called 911 from his house because of severe headaches. Ciulla went back for pain. As of Monday at 4 p.m., Cottini was still in the hospital. Ciulla was released.

APS has launched an investigation. 

The Arizona Division of Occupational Safety and Health, which regulates workplace safety, is also investigating but hasn’t been to the facility for an inspection prior to this explosion.

Anyone wishing to donate to the firefighters' relief fund, click here.

Grand Avenue was closed briefly in both directions near Deer Valley Road while this incident unfolded. It has since re-opened. 


Copyright 2019 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.



Recommended for you

(6) comments


Wishes for the victims speedy recovery.


Bless these men that put their lives on the line everyday to save property and lives! Fire fighters are a special breed of ppl and an awesome, tight family! My prayers go out to all that were injured, Lord, please place your hands upon the medical staff entrusted to care for these injured men and guide them towards what needs to be done to make these men be completely healed! Amen!;


I hope all of these firefighters make a full recovery. It's nice that there are people willing to sacrifice to help their neighbors.


unlike you


Why so angry? I'll be happy to help, if you want help.


is that your street name?

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.