AVONDALE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -- A repairman was found dead in an Avondale home Thursday evening.

Family members have identified the repairman as Steve Ball, who was in his 60s. 

Avondale Fire Department Capt. Ben Avita said fire crews located Ball, who was unresponsive. Ball had been working in an attic of a home near Avondale Boulevard and Lower Buckeye Road.

WATCH: Repairman's death likely heat related

Firefighters said that this appears to be a heat-related death, but a medical examiner will confirm the official cause.

Further details were not immediately available.

Ball's family told Arizona's Family Friday that he lived to help others and owned his business for 30 years in the Valley. 

[WATCH: Phoenix area repairman explains of job during summer heat]

Tiffany Ball, Steve's daughter, said "I don’t even know if this is real; I feel like I’m going to wake up in a bad dream."

"Everyday he told each one of his kids how special we were and how much he loved us. 'How’s my favorite daughter doing? How’s my favorite granddaughter doing,'" Tiffany Ball said.

Experts in the air conditioning repair business say it can be easy to forget to drink water and cool down while on the job.

"It's hard to remember that you've got to get that drink. So, you always have to put that in the back of your mind-- to grab another drink as you’re going up and down," said Mark Steven, of Forrest Anderson Plumbing and Air Conditioning. "I know the house is hot and the customer is uncomfortable, but they're not gonna get cooler any faster with you getting hurt."

Stay with Arizona's Family for more on this developing story. 

 


Copyright 2019 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

 

Locations

Recommended for you

(10) comments

ObeyLaws

Did their AC ever get fixed?? I hope they got a discount on the service call.

JF Conlon

Sometimes you sound like a human. Sometimes, like slime mold.

WarVet

May the Repairman R.I.P. Those men & women that go out of their way to help restore mostly Air Conditioner in a home this time of the year and go into the attics are real Heroes. May all of them be Safe, and prayers for the grieving family and friends of this Heroes family that gave the ultimate sacrifice to help his fellow beings.

AZRepublican

OSHA says a person should not work in a confined hot space when it is over 100

robertscomputer

Ya, they should have huge portable ac blowers with duct to reach , should be the law [ohmy]

andthesurveysays

OK, then you can be the one to the family with the broken AC, that we'll get to fixing it in late October. [innocent]

YoungPutaso

Qepd

nuusmaan

You have no human emotions.

MyOwnMind

probably as a result of being around you.

robertscomputer

Hey, those attics are as hot as cars this time year.[ohmy]

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.