PEORIA, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -- The Arizona Department of Public Safety has released the name of the woman stabbed and killed after a car crash on Loop 101 Friday.

She has been identified as Martha Thy of Spring Valley, California.

On Friday, DPS identified the suspect in her killing as 25-year-old Fernando Acosta.

According to the police report, the couple lived together.

Acosta has been booked into the Fourth Avenue jail on charges of first-degree murder and aggravated assault.

The deadly incident happened just before 7 a.m. Friday in the middle of rush hour traffic, shutting down northbound Loop 101 near Thunderbird for most of the day.

DPS says a white Lexus careened off the highway, through a dry canal embankment and into a fence.

The man and woman inside the car, now identified as Acosta and Thy, had apparently gotten into an argument, and were seen fighting next to their destroyed vehicle in plain view of passing cars.

During the altercation, Acosta allegedly stabbed Thy multiple times. 

“The male got out and immediately started stabbing the female,” said DPS Trooper Kameron Lee.

According to the police report, Acosta started stabbing Thy while she was sitting in the passenger seat, and then continued to stab her once she crawled outside the vehicle.

Thy was transported to Banner Thunderbird Hospital.

According to the police report, Thy sustained more than 20 deep cuts to her face, upper torso and body.

She was treated at the hospital, but was later pronounced dead.

Neighbors describe what they heard.

“It was like bam bam bam bam, and then it stopped. Opened my door walked in the back yard and go 'Did I just hear what I think I heard? And then bam bam bam bam bam,” said neighbor Gretchen Pahia. “I said, ‘OK those are gunshots.’ And ran inside and called 911."

And as for the sound of gunshots, Lee says “We are investigating that we are still trying to figure out if there was a shooting where it came from."

All of this unfolded right behind Pahia's neighborhood.

“Thank goodness that wall's there,” said Pahia, gesturing to the barrier separating the freeway from her neighborhood.

The police report states that Acosta did threaten to stab a witness. But thankfully, no one else was hurt.

“While it is an absolute shame and tragic that we did lose someone here today we [sic] grateful no one else was hurt today no bystanders no innocent victims,” said Lee.

Acosta made his first court appearance on Saturday.

His bond is currently set at $1 million. 

Acosta's next court appearance is on Friday, March 29. 

Stay with for updates on this developing story.


Copyright 2019 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.



Recommended for you