PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - The Arizona Board of Education awarded $32 million in school safety grants Friday to hire more school counselors, social workers and police officers.
Nearly 400 schools will receive money while the board rejected applications from 500 schools because there wasn't enough money in the program to handle all the requests.
Earlier this year, the state Legislature added $20 million to the safety grant program's annual $12 million budget.
That extra money will help hire 148 school counselors, 118 social workers and 116 school resource officers, according to the Arizona Department of Education.
Originally, Wilson Elementary School, which the Arizona Republic reported sits in one of the Phoenix's deadliest neighborhoods, thought their request had been turned down.
But Gov. Doug Ducey stepped in and sent a letter to the board asking them to reverse its decision.
The board agreed, and Cindy Campton, the principal of Wilson Elementary, said she was shocked.
Two years ago, the school lost its school resource officer due to lack of funding.
Since then, Campton said the school tried to find the money for another police officer, even starting a GoFundMe account.
[SPECIAL SECTION: State of Our Schools, The Search for Solutions]
Campton said she expects a school resource officer will be back on campus sometime early next year.