MESA, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - One person was taken to the hospital after they may have fallen asleep while cooking and started a fire in Mesa on Monday night.

It happened at the La Mesita Apartments on Main Street near Dobson Road.

The Mesa Fire and Medical Department say the small cooking fire spread to the cabinets and that activated the building's sprinkler system.

Firefighters arrived and got the person out of the apartment.

The victim was taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation, the fire department said.

No firefighters were hurt.

Only the adjacent apartments were evacuated.

Firefighters said there was a lot of water damage but it's unclear how many apartments were affected.

 


Copyright 2019 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

 

Locations

Recommended for you

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.