A judge has sentenced a Tempe man convicted of manslaughter in the stabbing death of a Scottsdale nightclub bouncer.

Maricopa County prosecutors said Judge Ronald Steinle sentenced 28-year-old Ian Alexander MacDonald to 18 years in prison on Friday morning.

He was convicted Aug. 14 in the death of Tyrice Thompson, a former Arizona State University football player.

Prosecutors said MacDonald, of Tempe, stabbed 27-year-old Tyrice Thompson outside the Martini Ranch bar in Old Town Scottsdale on Jan. 27, 2013.

Thompson was taken off life support and died about a week after he suffered multiple stab wounds while working security at the bar.

MacDonald's girlfriend, Samantha King, was arrested on suspicion of assault and hindering prosecution.

Investigators said interviews with club employees and witnesses and a video surveillance tape confirmed that MacDonald and King had been escorted from the club. They were left alone when security personnel, including Thompson, went to check out another disturbance in the parking lot, according to the report.

Another bouncer said he later saw Thompson and MacDonald fighting on the ground and that King was pulling the hair of Thompson.

The bouncer said he had to remove King from Thompson's back. He placed her on the ground and saw Thompson stagger away before collapsing on a sidewalk. Club personnel said no one else was seen around the fight between Thompson, MacDonald and King.

Detectives interviewed King on Jan. 29, 2013 and she told them her boyfriend was the only person fighting with Thompson. She also admitted to jumping on Thompson, pulling his hair and hitting him on the side of the face, according to the report.

She denied knowing whether MacDonald stabbed Thompson and said that she was not hurt, despite MacDonald's claim on a 911 call that she had been stabbed.

MacDonald was interviewed Jan. 30, 2013, and admitted to being kicked out of the bar by the club's bouncers, according to the report. He said he was held down to the ground by Thompson, but that no punches were thrown. He denied stabbing Thompson, according to the report.

Detectives said people who were with MacDonald the night of the stabbing told police he admitted to the stabbing and that he asked for their help in disposing of the knife.

Investigators believe the knife was thrown into a dumpster in Mesa sometime after the stabbing, according to the report.

MacDonald was held in custody and transported to the county jail for arraignment while King was booked and released, according to the report.

On July 5, 2014, MacDonald was arrested on weapons and alcohol charges in Mesa.

Mesa police said MacDonald also was arrested early Saturday on suspicion of intent to assault, disorderly conduct and other charges.

They said MacDonald was earlier cited by a park ranger for drinking alcohol and reportedly pointed a gun at a Mesa couple.

Copyright 2014 CBS 5 (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Recommended for you