There is a small outbreak of leptospirosis among dogs in the Valley. It's a highly contagious bacteria that can be transmitted through urine and contaminated water.
John Thompson is the president of the Association of Dog Owners Group, or ADOG, in Fountain Hills. They emailed their members letting them know of the outbreak.
"When I heard leptospirosis, I knew how serious it was," Thompson said. "The first thing I wanted to do was call my vet and get a vaccination [for my dog]."
He also took precautionary measures at his dog park.
"We got rid of all the buckets," Thompson said. But that wasn't before several dogs had already tested positive in Fountain Hills.
"One of those cases is a visitor of the dog park, but coincidentally, the other three cases live on the same street," Thompson said.
"The Department of Public Health has recorded 40-plus dogs tested positive since January 2016," said Dr. Sarah Bashaw with El Dorado Animal Hospital in Fountain Hills. "A lot of the cases started in Scottsdale, but they have been reporting cases as far west as Avondale, some cases in Gilbert, and we've had the first cases I know of in Fountain Hills."
Because it's so rare in Arizona, and can be passed onto humans, she said she wants dog owners to know what to look for.
"Some dogs will have mild symptoms and never show any clinical signs, others can be more severe, start out with vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, tremors, shaking, lethargy, fever," Bashaw said.
A simple set of vaccination shots can prevent it, and antibiotics can treat it.
Thompson said since Billy got her shot, he's totally comfortable bringing her to the dog park.
"Hopefully, we’re going to have our arms around it and people will get their dogs vaccinated, and we can stop any more potential for an outbreak," Thompson said.
Representatives from the Center for Disease Control are in town studying this, and working with the Maricopa County Department of Public Health.
The Department said this bacteria is so rare in Arizona that many veterinarians don't carry the vaccine, but it is easily obtainable. They said if you are worried that your pet came into contact with an infected dog, call your veterinarian.
Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.