Arizona teen warns others about exploding e-cigarettes

Valley teen badly burned after E-Cigarette exploded

A Maricopa teenager is among a growing number of victims injured by an electronic cigarette that exploded.

Hailey Boyce, 17, said that she was hanging out with friends a few months ago when her e-cigarette blew up.

"I started feeling this weird burning all in my side," said Hailey. "I can't even explain the feeling, but it was hurting. I was screaming, 'Get it out! Get it out!'"

The teen said the explosion set her hair and clothes on fire.

She suffered second- and third-degree burns to her chest, side and hands.

Pieces of the electronic cigarette were found down the block.

Dr. Kevin Foster heads up the Arizona Burn Center's burn service department.

Foster said what happened to Boyce is not an isolated incident, and they have seen at least 15 burn patients in the past three months that have all been injured by an e-cigarette.

[READ MORE: Valley man's vape pen explodes, causes serious burns (GRAPHIC VIDEO)]

"Unfortunately, we can't really offer people a safe alternative, or a safe way of using these things," said Foster. "We have no idea when they are going to go off, or what the injury will look like."

It's unclear what's causing the e-cigarettes to blow up, but many believe the small battery is to blame.

Many of the e-cigarette devices and batteries come from other countries, and can sometimes be defective.

Hailey wants to warn others to be careful.

"I would hate for it to happen to somebody else," said Boyce. "I don't want them to go through the unbelievable pain. It was really awful ."

The FDA is currently working on new regulations for e-cigarettes that would include new standards for manufacturers and battery safety.

Copyright 2016 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.

Recommended for you