Man accused of killing brother, hiding body after fight at Phoenix home

Michael Morgan faces multiple charges, including second-degree murder, abandoning/concealing a...
Michael Morgan faces multiple charges, including second-degree murder, abandoning/concealing a dead body, and tampering with evidence.(Phoenix Police Department)
Published: Nov. 20, 2023 at 4:42 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) - A man is accused of killing his brother, cleaning up the evidence and hiding the body after a fight at their Phoenix home.

Court documents say that on Nov. 11, 44-year-old Michael Morgan attacked his brother, 45-year-old George Morgan, at their home near 19th Avenue and Thomas Road, where they live with their mother and older brother.

According to the police, the brother’s mother witnessed the fight, which started in the dining room, and was heard by George’s young daughter. The mother said that George was controlling the fight and hit Michael multiple times, then went outside. After cleaning his injuries, Michael followed his brother outside, where the two started arguing again. Court documents say that the mother soon saw Michael leave in his SUV but did not know where his brother was. The family told police that George wouldn’t leave behind his daughter, eyeglasses, or false teeth.

George’s adult son soon arrived at the home and could not find his father after calling several times, as it seemed his phone had been turned off. Police say the son searched the backyard and found blood that appeared to have been cleaned with a water hose. There was also blood on George’s car and hat.

The next day, the mother called the Phoenix Police Department to file a missing persons report after checking the area and hospitals for her son. Court docs say that the mother called Phoenix PD to come to their home, and Michael left after being told the police were called again.

Police say that George’s son confronted Michael about the blood he found in the backyard, and Michael said he and his brother got into a fight, and he didn’t know where his brother was when he left the home that evening.

According to police, between the time of the fights and when officers arrived at the home on Nov. 12, Michael cleaned up the scene with chemicals. Police tracked George’s phone, which showed that the phone left at the same time Michael left the home on Nov. 11 and was turned off later that night.

On Saturday, Nov. 18, police found and arrested Michael in Queen Creek. Police say his SUV was processed, and evidence of a crime was found inside. Michael was interviewed by police and denied he was responsible for the disappearance of his brother. Police said George’s remains have not been found.

Michael was booked into jail and faces multiple charges, including second-degree murder, abandoning/concealing a dead body, and tampering with evidence.

Anyone with information on this case is asked to call the Phoenix Police Department or Silent Witness at 480 (WITNESS) or 480 (TESTIGO) if they wish to remain anonymous.

See a spelling or grammatical error in our story? Please click here to report it.

Do you have a photo or video of a breaking news story? Send it to us here with a brief description.