Video shows officer shooting man who had rock as he enters Phoenix Chili’s

A Phoenix police officer opened fire on a man who was about to go inside a Chili's with a rock in his hand in north Phoenix.
Published: May. 23, 2022 at 5:58 PM MST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) — The Phoenix Police Department released body-cam videoes on Monday that show an officer shooting a man who had a rock in his hand and was going inside a Chili’s earlier this month. It all started when the unidentified man broke an apartment window at around 4:45 p.m. on May 9 near Seventh Street and Bell Road, police said. He then broke a nearby business window and was seen throwing bottles at drivers.

When officers found him in the parking lot, he had a river rock in his hand. The two officers wanted to use a stun gun, but he was too far away. “Drop the rock!” the main officer said. He then tells the other officer to get the stun bag gun. The man then runs off and goes across Bell Road to another shopping center. When officers caught up with him, he still had the rock in his hand. They asked him again to drop the rock, and he refused. Officers said they were concerned because drivers and shoppers were nearby. “Stun bag, get that stun bag up!” the main officer said. The man is seen shouting and putting his hands up with the rock still in his hand. “Drop the rock and get down on the ground,” the officer said.

The man ran again before the stun bags could be used, and the officers chased him through the parking lot. He then goes to the Chili’s outdoor patio. The video shows the man looking like he is going to throw the rock but instead holds onto it. “Drop the rock!” the officer said, with his gun drawn. He again radios the other officer for a stun bag. The man goes to the side door, where the officer tells him not to enter the Chili’s. “Do not go in there!” the officer yelled. As the man opens the door, the officer fires his gun three times, hitting the man in the leg. He fell inside the restaurant, and the video shows him on the ground. His screams can be heard in the video. The officer with the stun bag gun was on the other side of the Chili’s, running toward the main officer. According to the police incident report, the main officer said he “could not have lived with himself if he had let the suspect enter the restaurant where families with children were eating and the suspect had hurt one of them.”

Other officers showed up to help, and police said the man was resisting arrest by pulling his arms back and kicking the officers. They eventually got him in handcuffs and put two tourniquets on him to help stop the bleeding.

The man was taken to the hospital, where he remains, as of Monday afternoon. No officers or witnesses were hurt. The officer who opened fire has been with the department for 15 years. According to the police incident report, the officer said he “could not have lived with himself if he had let the suspect enter the restaurant where families with children were eating and the suspect had hurt one of them.”

According to police paperwork, the man was arrested for illegal entry and illegal re-entry into the U.S. five times. An internal investigation and a criminal investigation into the shooting are underway. The Maricopa County Attorney’s Office will review the incident. Police said once the suspect is released from the hospital, he’ll face charges of aggravated assault on a police officer, criminal damage, and possibly more.