SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. -- A woman had to climb out a second-story window to escape her burning apartment Friday morning. A quick-thinking neighbor rushed to her aid.
It happened in the neighborhood of 82nd Street and Indian School Road.
The woman woke up at about 1:45 a.m. to discover thick black smoke filling her apartment.
While there are security bars on the window, the woman had a key and was able to open them. She then climbed out the window and on to the roof of a laundry or storage room.
The next-door neighbor heard the woman yelling for help and pulled her through a window into her own apartment.
"She was very calm," Anthony Sacco, another neighbor, said. "She was very clear that there was a lot of fire. The smoke was dark and black."
Other residents went door to door to alert they neighbors to the danger.
The woman was taken to Scottsdale Healthcare Osborn Medical Center to be treated for smoke inhalation. Doctors believe she will be fine.
The fire is under investigation, but early indications are that it started in the kitchen.