MESA, Ariz. -- If anyone knows their way around the grill, it is Piggly's at the Fair owner Craig Sawyers.
Sawyers spent years on the road grilling up barbecue and frying fair favorites for carnivals and state fairs around the Southwest.
With the weather cooling off and football season here, Sawyers shared some of his wisdom on what football fans need for their next tailgate.
Sawyers lists his top five favorite foods for tailgates.
1. Chicken/Turkey Legs - Easy to eat without much mess. Utensils aren't necessary.
2. Sausages - Bring the condiments to make it a perfect compliment to any football game, especially for the Midwesterners.
3. Steak - Sear both sides sides and grill it just the way you like it. Make sure you don't forget the steak knife.
4. Kabobs - Piggly's is partial to anything on a stick. Kabobs are easy to prepare and taste great with your favorite dipping sauce.
5. Vegetables - Taste great on the grill with a little olive oil and garlic
"Keep it simple and avoid anything messy that takes too long to cook," Sawyers said.
A couple examples of things that Sawyers would steer away from at the tailgate are brisket, ribs, and any kind of specialty burgers.
Within the past year, Sawyers turned his traveling concession into a brick-and-mortar restaurant in Mesa, on Stapley, right off the 60.
They're celebrating their grand opening this weekend with the public.
For the next four days, -- Thursday-Sunday, Oct. 3-6, Piggly's at the Fair is offering a special deal on just about everything on the menu -- buy one food item, get one food item of equal or lesser value free.