2 taken into custody after police pursuit in Phoenix


by Jennifer Thomas


Posted on October 30, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Updated Sunday, Nov 10 at 12:15 PM

Map: Police chase ends

View larger map

Map: Police chase begins

View larger map

PHOENIX – Police took two people into custody after pursuing an SUV through the streets of Phoenix Wednesday morning.

Phoenix police Sgt. Trent Crump said the incident began with a call about someone shaking doorknobs near 56th Street and Tierra Buena Lane, which is between Greenway and Bell roads.

Police responded to the area and spotted a male. There was a brief foot chase then the man jumped into a black Kia Sorento driven by a woman and they fled the scene. The vehicle reportedly had stolen plates.

Crump said officers located a stolen vehicle parked in the area and found stolen items inside along with the IDs of the man and woman, who had fled in the other Kia. Police learned that the male suspect had felony warrants.

A police helicopter monitored the Kia and at some point, unmarked police cars began following the SUV.

The female driver ran a few red lights and swerved around other vehicles while winding through Phoenix at mostly low speeds for about 90 minutes.

The vehicle was traveling near Bell Road and Seventh Avenue at about 9 a.m. then went to the Sunnyslope area, headed down 16th Street into South Phoenix, into east Phoenix, onto state Route 143 and then back toward central Phoenix.

Crump said the male suspect waved a gun at officers during parts of the pursuit.

The vehicle drove onto the sidewalk near 24th Street and Camelback Road to avoid traffic. The SUV then hit a car at 16th Street and continued westbound on Camelback.

The driver picked up speed approaching Central Avenue.

An unmarked police vehicle clipped the back of the SUV in a parking lot in an attempt to stop it, but the driver kept going and headed northbound on Seventh Avenue at what appeared to be an increased speed with unmarked police cars following behind.

The SUV hit a white Lexus at Maryland and Seventh avenues then went over a curb and crashed into a tree at about 10:30 a.m. The suspects bailed out of the vehicle and police officers gave chase. They were quickly taken into custody in the area.

"They looked like they weren't sober. They looked high," said Vann Gutier, who witnessed the chase. "This is a neighborhood. This is the neighborhood I grew up in, north-central Phoenix, and I was thinking what if somebody's just crossing the street? Somebody's going to get hit. Somebody's going to get hurt."

Police officers reportedly found at least two weapons after taking the suspects into custody.

One person at each crash scene was slightly injured. The suspects were also injured after the crash with the Lexus. All four were transported to hospitals.