Smoke detectors save mother and son during house fire

Print
Email
|

by Erin Kennedy

azfamily.com

Posted on September 24, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Updated Tuesday, Sep 24 at 6:40 PM

Map: Phoenix house fire

View larger map

PHOENIX – Smoke detectors may have saved the lives of a Phoenix mother and her 3-year-old son after their home caught.

It happened Tuesday afternoon in a neighborhood near 51st Avenue and Baseline Road.

While making brownies in the kitchen with her son, the mother, Shawna, who would only give her first name, heard the blaring sound of her smoke detectors.

She discovered a refrigerator in the garage on fire and considered trying to put it out, then evacuated the home with her child.

Shawna and her son suffered minor smoke inhalation and were treated on the scene.

Crews from the Phoenix Fire Department arrived to the fire at 2:30 p.m. The fire was contained to the garage and the rest of the home suffered minor smoke damage.

Firefighters said Shawna acted correctly during the fire, and that the smoke detectors likely saved her and her son’s lives.

Be sure to check your smoke detectors once a month and switch out batteries once a year.

The family of six will be relocated for a short period of time and PFD is helping the family with any needs.

Print
Email
|