FLORENCE, Ariz. -- A man convicted in Phoenix's "Serial Shooter" attacks died Wednesday from unknown causes, according to the Arizona Department of Corrections.
Dale Hausner, 40, was found unresponsive in his cell at Arizona State Prison Complex-Eyman in Florence just after noon.
Prison staff and medical responders administered CPR. He was transported to Florence Hospital at Anthem where he was pronounced dead at 1:15 p.m.
His death is under investigation.
On March 13, 2009, Hausner was convicted of 80 crimes, including six counts of first-degree murder, attempted murder, aggravated assault, cruelty to animals and other charges.
Hausner murdered David Estrada, Nathaniel Shoffner, Jose Ortis, Marco Carillo, Claudia Gutierrez-Cruz, and Robin Blasnek. Eighteen others were injured in nighttime shootings that randomly targeted pedestrians, bicyclists and animals in 2005 and 2006.
He was sentenced to death out of Maricopa County.
Last year, Hausner said he was skipping further appeals and wanted the Arizona Supreme Court to set his execution date. In a letter to the court, he wrote that he wanted "to be executed as soon as possible."
Following Hausner's death, his defense attorney, Garrett Simpson, said, "I have rarely met a person who had a more miserable life. His life was appalling … taking nothing from the suffering from the victims in the case. He was a very wounded soul, and I am really sorry his life worked out like that, and that's taking nothing from the appalling losses that were afflicted."
Hausner's co-defendant, Samuel Dieteman, pleaded guilty to two murders and was sentenced to life in prison.