PHOENIX -- Here are some tips and products to use and follow in proper lawn care.
Corn gluten meal is a by‐product of processing corn to make corn starch and corn syrup. It was recently discovered that corn gluten meal prevents sprouting seeds from developing normal roots. This product will feed your grass and at the same time it prevents weeds seeds from growing and is 100-percent natural.
I have developed a product called Extreme Granules that is an all-natural plant food derived from poultry waste. This product can be used on vegetables, citrus, flowers, trees, roses, shrubs and lawns. It is great because it slowly releases nutrients and promotes microbiotic activity in the soil.
Also, following a great watering guide will help keep your plants, trees and lawn nice and healthy.
Summer watering schedule -- May through October
- Desert Adapted = 7 – 21 days / penetrating 3 to 4 feet
- High Water Use = 7 – 14 days/ penetrating 3 to 4 feet
- Desert Adapted = 7 to 21 days/ penetrating 2 to 3 feet
- High Water Use = 5 to 7 days/ penetrating 2 to 3 feet
Groundcovers and vines:
- Desert Adapted = 7 to 21 days/ penetrating 1 foot
- High Water Use = 2 to 5 days/ penetrating 1 foot
Cacti and succulents:
- 14 to 30 days/ penetrating 1 foot
- 2 to 5 days/ penetrating 1 foot
- 3 to 5 days/ penetrating 6 to 8 inches
You can also use Extreme Juice, which is a blend of fish emulsion, liquid seaweed, humic acid, soft phosphate and much more. Perfect for foliar feeding or soil drenching, this natural product will revitalize microbiotic activity in the soil, stimulate roots, and make plants stronger and healthier.
It is always good to take note that as your lawn comes out of dormancy, it is a good time to detach the lawn and top dress it with a quarter inch of compost.
Well-known gardening guru David Owens, aka "The Garden Guy," shows experienced and novice gardeners alike how to grow organic foods in hostile climates (all desert climates) and land. For more information, check out GardenGuy.com or PocoVerde.com. If you have a gardening question, you can email firstname.lastname@example.org.