PHOENIX -- Champagne isn't just for drinking. LON's at the Hermosa Executive Chef James Ducas demonstrated how to cook with the bubbly drink.
Fennel-cured salmon potato blini
1. Rice a baked potato using a potato ricer, grater or strainer.
2. Add a couple eggs to the riced potatoes.
3. Add flour and mix to form batter. Small lumps are OK for texture.
4. Pour into hot pan and let cook until golden-brown on each side.
5. Put a couple blinis on a plate and top with salmon.
Bay scallops carbonara
-1 lb. squid ink pasta
-3/4 lb. bay scallops
-1/4 lb. bacon, diced
-1 bulb fennel, caramelized
-4 oz. uni (sea urchin eggs)
-2 oz. champagne
-Salt and pepper to taste
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add squid ink noodles and cook until tender.
2. To make the uni cream, add uni to a blender and puree smooth with the champagne until smooth.
3. Heat a saute pan until hot. Add olive oil, scallops, bacon and fennel. Cook until scallops are just done.
4. Add noodles with a little of the pasta water and remove from heat.
5. Fold in the uni cream and toss until coated.
6. Season with salt and pepper.
For champagne cooking tips, see the Hermosa Inn website.