Weekend Freeway Travel Advisory (May 17-20): Eastbound Loop 101 closed near I-17
PHOENIX – Freeway improvement projects in the Phoenix area will require closures this weekend (May 17-20), according to the Arizona Department of Transportation. Eastbound Loop 101 is scheduled to be closed near Interstate 17 in north Phoenix for resurfacing work. Drivers are encouraged to plan ahead and consider alternate routes while the following freeway closures are in place:
• Eastbound Loop 101 closed between 35th and Seventh avenues from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (May 20) for rubberized asphalt paving. DETOUR: Please consider alternate routes. Eastbound Loop 101 traffic will use Beardsley frontage road and re-enter Loop 101 at Seventh Avenue. Access northbound I-17 via Deer Valley Road and access southbound I-17 via Union Hills Drive.
• Both Interstate 17 ramps to eastbound Loop 101 closed from 10 p.m. Friday to 5 a.m. Monday (May 20) for rubberized asphalt paving. DETOUR: Drivers can exit at Deer Valley Road or Union Hills Drive and travel east to Seventh Avenue to access Loop 101.
• Southbound Interstate 17 closed at Bell Road from 11 p.m. Friday to 9 a.m. Saturday (May 18) for overhead message sign work. DETOUR: Traffic will detour along the off- and on-ramps at Bell Road.
• Southbound Interstate17 closed at Thunderbird Road from 11 p.m. Saturday to 9 a.m. Sunday (May 19) for overhead message sign work. DETOUR: Traffic will detour along the off- and on-ramps at Thunderbird Road.
• Grand Avenue (US 60) narrowed to one lane between 71st and 75th avenues from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday (May 18). Eastbound Grand Avenue also narrowed to one lane at 84th Avenue for utility work. DETOUR: Please slow down and use caution in work zones.
• Westbound Interstate 10 ramp to northbound Loop 101 closed overnight from 9 p.m. Friday to 6 a.m. Saturday (May 18) for guardrail maintenance. DETOUR: Consider exiting and traveling north on 91st Avenue and west on McDowell Road to access Loop 101.
You can also check on any other weekend freeway restrictions at www.ValleyFreeways.com/OtherRestrictions.
For a complete list of highway and freeway restrictions across Arizona visit ADOT’s Travel Information site at www.az511.gov or call 5-1-1. Sign up for ADOT email updates, including weekend freeway restrictions, at www.azdot.gov. There is also another great way to learn more about ADOT’s projects and programs to improve Arizona’s transportation system. Check out the ADOT blog at www.adotblog.blogspot.com.
ADOT plans and constructs new freeways, additional lanes and other major improvements as part of the 20-year Regional Transportation Plan for the Maricopa County region. The primary funding source is a half-cent sales tax approved by county voters in 2004. More information about ADOT projects and the regional plan is available at www.ValleyFreeways.com.