Gas leak forces dozens out of Buckeye apartment complex

Posted: Updated:
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

Buckeye Fire Department officials say a gas leak prompted them to evacuate approximately 25 residents from the Buckeye Villa Apartments Monday night.

The apartment complex, which is located near Ninth Street and MC85, had an underground gas leak around 9 p.m.

No injuries have been reported, and evacuees are being offered a place to stay at a senior center down the street from the apartment complex.

Gas company workers are preparing the shut the gas off, but it is unclear when residents will be allowed back into their homes.

Buckeye Fire Captain Tommy Taylor said on Tuesday morning that Southwest Gas had secured the leak. 

Taylor added that fire crews are still getting gas readings in the soil affected. 

Meanwhile, Southwest Gas is using a vacuum system to remove the remaining fumes.   

According to Buckeye fire, two of the three buildings affected have been cleared for evacuees to return to their homes. 

The residents who were evacuated for the night will not be allowed back until the last building has been cleared, Buckeye fire said. 

It is also unclear what might have caused the gas leak.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.