8-year-old girl, dad severely burned in fire in north Phoenix

Posted: Updated:
(Source: 3TV/CBS 5) (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -

An 8-year-old girl and her father suffered severe burns in a fire Saturday.

It happened at a home near Cave Creek and Deer Valley roads in north Phoenix.

Phoenix fire crews say the incident involved some kind of flammable liquid and an open flame.

"They had either tried to start the grill or they had started it and were trying to stoke the fire a bit more," said Capt. Jake Van Hook with the Phoenix Fire Department.

And that can be a dangerous combination.

“Gasoline, lighter fluid anything like that, we don’t want that around because those vapors can you suddenly ignite and cause a lot of injuries. And again, that’s not drawing any conclusions about what happened tonight, but nonetheless, it is just a general safety tip for having an open flame and flammable liquids," said Van Hook.

The young girl suffered significant burns to her torso and legs.

Her father, in his mid-40s, suffered burns to his legs and wrists.

Both patients were transported to the County Hospital burn center.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2018 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.