Thursday, October 19Posted: Updated:
10th Annual Paul's Pay it Forward Car Wash
Each day, beginning today from 4:30 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., CBS 5's Chief Meteorologist Paul Horton joins community and corporate volunteers of all ages to wash cars, with donations benefiting Big Brothers Big Sisters of Central Arizona (BBBSAZ).
BBBSAZ recruitment specialists will be available throughout the event to provide information about how to become a "Big." In addition, the Big Brothers Big Sisters Donation Center will be on site to collect donations of clothing and household items. If getting out to Desert Ridge (Oct. 16-20) or Jacksons Car Wash, San Tan location, (Oct. 20 only) is not an option, supporters can make a donation by texting "paulscarwash" to 41444 or by visiting www.azfamily.com/carwash and clicking on the "Donate Online" button.
Fiesta Bowl balloon testing
The parade has been a Valley tradition since 1971. Now, in its 47th year, the NBAZ Fiesta Bowl Parade attracts more than 2,500 men, women, children, floats, balloons and animals who participate. They are testing the balloons to make sure they're ready for the 2-mile route.
- They're getting ready for the 47th NBAZ Fiesta Bowl Parade and a big part of the Parade are the balloons
- Testing the balloons and make sure that they're ready for the 2-mile Parade route
- In 2017, we'll have 3 new balloons that community groups/companies can sponsor
- The parade has been a Valley tradition since 1971.
- Now, in its 47th year, the NBAZ Fiesta Bowl Parade attracts more than 2,500 men, women, children, floats, balloons and animals who participate.
- This year, the parade will pay tribute to the Valley of the Sun through the "Champions of the Community" theme.
- Arizona Coyotes legend Shane Doan will be the Grand Marshal of the 47thAnnual National Bank of Arizona Fiesta Bowl Parade on December 30, 2017. As Grand Marshal, Doan will lead this year's parade through the two-mile parade route in central Phoenix.
- The parade will begin at 9 a.m. in December 30.
- The parade is free to the public with premium and reserved seating available for $25.
- If, for whatever reason, you can't join us in person, you can watch it right here on 3TV and azfamily.com
- The National Bank of Arizona Fiesta Bowl Parade will begin a day filled with Fiesta Bowl festivities leading up to the 47th Annual PlayStation Fiesta Bowl, scheduled to kickoff at 2:00 p.m.
For more information about the event, the application process and to purchase tickets, please visit www.fiestabowl.org/events/
Local Love: Pereida-Rice Woodworking Warehouse
Pereida-Rice Woodworking is a first-generation family business that specializes handcrafted solid wood furniture. The company was founded by Tristan after he got a divorce. He was left with no furniture so decided to build his own. Soon after, Tristan and his brother Kalen began to build and sell furniture. In 2014, Tristan and Kalen moved the business from Santa Monica to Phoenix, the siblings’ hometown. Phoenix is his hometown, and he wanted to make Pereida-Rice a full-time business with the help of his family.
After the move, Tristan and his brother found a house that could function as a shop, but as the business grew they bought an actual shop in Glendale and have 8 employees. Pereida-Rice started selling on Handmade at Amazon in 2015, and has since seen hockey stick growth. Handmade at Amazon accounts for the majority of Pereida-Rice's sales.
Pereida-Rice Woodworking Warehouse
5036 N. 54th Ave #1 Glendale, AZ 85301
Mission Possible Cafe gives back
Mission Possible Cafe is latest project by Phoenix Rescue Mission to help their participants get back on their feet and offers job training as well.
The new cafe offers southwestern-inspired cuisine with an emphasis on Mexican grilled items. It will focus on strong customer service, as well as quality food at affordable prices.
For more info: http://missionpossiblecafe.com/
Mission Possible cafe opens Monday through Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
Mission Possible Cafe
1516 W. Van Buren St., Phoenix, AZ
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: (602) 688-6240
Garden Guy: Cool weather gardening tips
With the cool weather this season approaching here are some tips to follow to transition which will cover water, white washing your trees, no trimming of plants, and mulching which is key.
First cut back on watering on established plants and trees, additional watering is needed for new plantings. Make sure that you occasionally change the soil in your pots and scrub the pots with a mixture of 1-part bleach and 10 parts water. Soil harbors pathogens and tends to build up after couple of years of use.
Next hold off on pruning any frost-tender shrubs. For anyone with citrus trees you will want to start white washing them now to protect against any insects of fungus that they may attract or grow during the cooler weather.
Finally mulching which is important as it conserves soil moisture, increases water percolation and moderates soil temperatures. It acts like a layer of insulation and if you use organic material, ten it will also help invigorate the soil as it decomposes. Along with all of this, mulch decreases competition from weeds and increases micro biotic activity at root systems. All of this helps our plants resist disease while cooling down the soil and helping to build a plants heat resistance.
Luna Aura performs at Lost Lake Festival
Raised in Phoenix, singer and songwriter, Luna Aura, began making music at the age of 10. Known for her unique blend of pop melodies with synthesizer sounds, she paved her own way to fame. Playing different festivals and concerts, she'll be a part of the Valley's own major music event, the Lost Lake Festival, Oct. 20-22 at Steele Indian School Park.
- Raised in Phoenix, singer and songwriter, Luna Aura, began making music at just 10 years old. Known for her unique blend of pop melodies with synthesizer sounds, she paved her own way to fame earning love from GQ, Teen Magazine and more.
- Luna Aura, will part of the Valley's own major music event, the Lost Lake Festival. Catch her performance there on Friday.
- Luna Aura, new album Madhouse is now available on iTunes.
- For more information on Luna Aura, visit: http://lunaauramusic.com/
Tickets are still available for Lost Lake Festival, which will be held Oct. 20-22, 2017, at Steele Indian School Park in Phoenix. Get tickets at LostLakeFestival.com.
More than just music, Lost Lake will feature some of the best chefs, restaurants, mixologists and artists in the Valley. The event is a first of its kind in the Valley.
For more information on the Lost Lake Festival, visit: https://www.lostlakefestival.com/festival-info/
Lost Lake will take place at Steele Indian School Park in Phoenix, Arizona.
Friday 2pm - 11pm
Saturday 12:30pm - 11pm
Sunday 12:30pm - 10:30pm
The event will feature more than 45 musical acts across three stages. From top local talent and iconic artists to international acts, the festival will feature Futuristic, The Killers, Chance the Rapper, Major Lazer, ODESZA, The Roots, Run The Jewels, Pixies, and many more.
Lost Lake Festival
Oct. 20-22, 2017
Steele Indian School Park
300 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ 85012
Top selling costumes of 2017
Halloween is almost here! Phoenix-based Yandy.com shows us the hottest costumes of 2017.
- Yandy has become notorious for its collection of pop culture-inspired and classic costumes, stealing the headlines with its fun and innovative designs and assortment
- Every year Yandy sees a balanced mix between the classic witches and skeletons and the trendy internet sensations equally sharing spots within the company's top 10 costumes
- Whether you're attending the office Halloween party or the next-door neighbor's, Yandy has a wide selection of costumes for any occasion
For more information, visit: www.yandy.com or call 1-800-883-0860
21615 N. 7th Ave, Phoenix AZ 85027
Phone: Phone: (800) 883-0860
Chili 3 Ways
Cooler weather means warmer meals! It's National Chili Month and Miracle Mile Deli has the perfect cup or bowl to soothe your soul. Their traditional recipe is tried, tested and guaranteed to fill you up. However, this holiday season Miracle Mile Deli is showing people how to think beyond just the beans and meat by serving up chili with a twist.
For more information: www.miraclemiledeli.com
Miracle Mile Deli
4433 N 16th Street
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Phone: (602) 776-0992
Tara's Reel: Only the Brave
Tara Hitchcock sits down with the cast of the new movie about the hot shots who lost their lives battling an Arizona wildfire.
For more information on the movie, "Only the Brave," visit: http://www.onlythebrave-movie.com/site/
For more information on Tara reviews and interviews visit: http://www.harkinstheatres.com/behindTheScreens.aspx