FD: Family of 4 hospitalized after using BBQ to warm Phoenix apartment

Posted: Updated:
Crews found that the woman's family of four, which included an infant and 4 year old, were using a barbecue grill to warm their first-floor apartment, said Phoenix fire. (Source: Phoenix fire) Crews found that the woman's family of four, which included an infant and 4 year old, were using a barbecue grill to warm their first-floor apartment, said Phoenix fire. (Source: Phoenix fire)
A family of four was transported to a local hospital after using a barbecue grill to warm their first-floor apartment in Phoenix. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5) A family of four was transported to a local hospital after using a barbecue grill to warm their first-floor apartment in Phoenix. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -

A family of four was transported to a local hospital after using a barbecue grill to warm their first-floor apartment in Phoenix, according to Phoenix fire.

Firefighters were initially dispatched to a fire alarm indication and another station dispatched for an adult woman having a seizure in the same apartment complex near Indian School Road and 32nd Street.

As the two crews arrived, they discovered the calls were related to the seizing woman and the fire alarm indication.

The fire alarm indication turned out to be a carbon monoxide alarm.

Crews found that the woman's family of four, which included an infant and 4-year-old, were using a barbecue grill to warm their first-floor apartment, said Phoenix fire.

One of the four, an adult male, passed out prior to firefighters arrival and all four were transported to the hospital for further evaluation after inhaling carbon monoxide.

The children were not displaying any obvious signs of distress.

Phoenix fire stresses the importance or not using barbecues or other combustion-type equipment to warm homes.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.