Chorizo Chili & Cornbread Waffles, Shrimp Rolls and Cereal CocktailsPosted:
Courtesy of: Executive Chef Joey Maggiore, The Hash Kitchen
• 2 cup whole milk
• 1 cup cereal (Fruity Pebbles, Cocoa Puffs and Cinnamon Toast Crunch are recommended)
• 1-2 shots liquor (Rumchata, loopy vodka, Kahlua or chocolate vodka)
• 2 cup ice
Directions for Cinnamon Toast Crunch Cereal Cocktail:
Crush 1/2 cup cereal and place in a shallow dish. Place a little of the cereal milk in a second shallow dish. Coat the rims of 2 glasses by first dipping in the milk and then in the cereal. Fill each glass with ice.
Fill a shaker halfway with ice and add the Rumchata and whole milk. Shake vigorously and divide between the prepared glasses. Top each cocktail with Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
Chorizo Chili & Cornbread Waffles
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 1 green bell pepper, diced
• 1 red bell pepper, diced
• 1 medium onion, diced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• 2 jalapeno peppers, minced
• 3 tablespoons ground cumin
• 2 tablespoons chili powder
• 2 tablespoons dried oregano
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoons cayenne
• 1 pound ground beef
• 12 ounces pork chorizo, removed from casings
• 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
• 2 tablespoons Browning and Seasoning sauce
• 2 tablespoons hot sauce
• 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
• 2 cups beef broth
• 2 bay leaves
• 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes
• 1 14 ounce can dark red kidney beans
• salt and pepper, to taste
• 1 cup of flour
• 1 cup of cornmeal
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 2 teaspoons baking powder
• 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
• 1 1/2 cups milk
• 1 1/2 sticks butter, melted
• 2 eggs
• 1 cup fire roasted corn
• 1 jalapeno peppers, minced
• 1 cup cheddar cheese
• 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
For the Chili
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. To the oil, add in your peppers, onions and garlic. Cook until tender. Next, add in cumin, chili powder, oregano, cinnamon and cayenne. Continue to cook 5 minutes longer. Add in your beef and chorizo stirring to break up the meat. Continue to cook for 10 minutes. To the mixture, stir in Worcestershire and browning sauce, hot sauce and tomato paste. Pour in beef broth and bay leaves and let simmer for 1 hour.
After 1 hour, stir in tomatoes and beans and continue to cook over low for an additional 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.
For the Waffles
Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt, baking powder and baking soda and set aside.
Next, stir together milk, butter and eggs. Make a well in the flour mixture and pour liquid into the center and whisk to combine. Fold in corn, jalapeno, cheese and cilantro.
Preheat your waffle iron and spray with cooking spray. Fill our waffle iron with batter, careful not to overfill and cook until golden and crisp.
Place your waffle on a plate and add chili. Top with additional cheese, sour cream and cilantro.
• 1¼ pound medium shrimp, peeled, deveined
• Kosher salt
• 1 large celery stalk, peeled, finely chopped
• 3 scallions, thinly sliced
• ¼ cup mayonnaise
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1½ teaspoon prepared horseradish
• 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
• ¼ teaspoon paprika
• Freshly ground black pepper
• 4 hot dog buns, preferably potato, split
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
Cook shrimp in a pot of boiling salted water until cooked through, about 2 minutes. Drain; rinse with cold water until cool. Pat dry and chop into bite-size pieces.
Whisk together celery, scallions, mayonnaise, dill, lemon juice, horseradish, vinegar, and paprika; season with salt and pepper. Fold in shrimp.
Meanwhile, heat broiler. Toast buns on rimmed baking sheet until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Spread butter on each toasted bun and fill with shrimp salad.