Family of 6 safe, 2 dogs dead after house fire in Phoenix

Posted: Updated:
A family of six got out safe after their house caught fire in Phoenix early Friday morning. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5) A family of six got out safe after their house caught fire in Phoenix early Friday morning. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
The home was completely gutted by the fire and the six family members will be displaced. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5) The home was completely gutted by the fire and the six family members will be displaced. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
PHOENIX (3TV/CBS 5) -

A family of six got out safe after their house caught fire in Phoenix early Friday morning. Sadly, however, their two puppies perished in the flames.

According to the Phoenix Fire and Medical Department, fire crews responded to the house fire just before midnight near Adams Street and 21st Avenue.

Christina Copplend, whose sister rents the home, told 3TV/CBS 5 that the fire may have been caused by a lit candle.

She said the owner of the home had shut off the power to the home yesterday because the family of six were being evicted. However, the eviction notice was apparently sent to the wrong home, without the knowledge of the family. So the two boys and four girls were using candles for lighting.

Luckily, all six family members were able to get out of the home safely. One of the boys did run back into the home to try and save the puppies but unfortunately, the two dogs did not make it out alive.

The home was completely gutted by the fire and the six family members will be displaced. Copplend said she will take her sister's family in.

Phoenix fire said the fire is under investigation and no firefighters were hurt battling the blaze.

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.