Monday, Sept. 4Posted: Updated:
Labor Day water safety: Pool games teach serious swim skills
It's Labor Day! And if you're enjoying a BBQ, or swim party, it's a good time to remind folks about watching kids around water. Even the best little swimmers need supervision. We're at Hubbard Family Swim School learning some of those crucial safety reminders, and we're learning how they use fun pool games to teach young swimmers some serious skills.
To learn more about Hubbard's swimming pool games visit:
For more information, visit: www.hubbardswim.com
Hubbard Family Swim School- Phoenix
13832 N 32nd St #100, Phoenix, AZ 85032
Relaxing Labor Day
If you're looking for a place to relax this Labor Day, one of the best places to unwind is Lustre Rooftop Bar.
- Perched on the third-floor pool deck of Kimpton Hotel Palomar Phoenix, LUSTRE is celebrating the long weekend with Tito's Handmade Vodka specials and tastings, an outdoor barbecue all weekend, live music and giant pool toys for party-goers.
- Pool opens at 11AM and is open to the public.
- No cover!
- For those looking to turn the weekend into a staycation, Hotel Palomar is also offering the 100 Days Of Summer package with room rates starting from $160 per night.
- The package includes 20 percent off the best available rate and a 20 percent discount at Blue Hound Kitchen & Cocktails and LUSTRE Rooftop Bar.
For more information, visit: http://www.lustrerooftopbar.com/
2 E Jefferson St, Phoenix, AZ 85004
Phone: (480) 478-1738
Motivational Monday: Dancing Dudes
Is dancing, maybe a Plei or a Pa de Bourree, all you need to improve your athletic performance? There's a new trend in ballet, where more men are signing up for classes. We find out how practicing ballet can be one of the best ways to improve flexibility and muscle tone.
With college football starting this Saturday, now is the perfect time to prep for those back-yard football days with your bros. ...With a Barre class. ...With your dudes. Yep, you read that right.
Bar Method Phoenix, located in the Arcadia area, has the class athletes didn't know they needed. With a male instructor on their team and classes that boast enhancement of strength, speed, agility, balance and mental focus, it's everything a football player needs.
For more information, visit: http://phoenix-arcadia.barmethod.com/
The Bar Method Phoenix
4730 E Indian School Rd #207a, Phoenix, AZ 85018
Visit their Facebook page for free community class announcements, events, specials and more at https://www.facebook.com/BarMethodPhoenix/
Labor of Love: Free dental services at 11 Valley locations
It's called "Labor of Love" on this Labor Day, at Risas Dental and Braces. They've been gearing up all morning to provide free dental services at 11 of their Valley locations. We're at their newest office on 51st Avenue and McDowell Road where the doctors and staff are donating their time at Risas' sixth annual "Labor of Love," which is projected to draw over 1,000 patients.
Risas Dental and Braces'
Labor of Love participating offices Valley-wide
Monday, September 4 from 8 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Participating Phoenix locations include:
- Desert Sky - 7440 W. Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85003
- Mesa - 1928 E. Main Street, Mesa, AZ 85203
- Metro - 10621 N. 35th Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85029
- Westgate - 4850 N. 83rd Avenue, Phoenix, AZ 85033
- Phoenix Central - 4501 N. 7th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85014
- Alhambra - 3540 W. Camelback Road, Phoenix, AZ 85019
- South Mountain - 6034 S. 16th Street, Phoenix, AZ 85042
- Arcadia - 4317 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix, AZ 85008
- Maryvale 6026 N. 59th Avenue, Glendale, AZ 85301
- Chandler 125 E. Ray Road, Chandler, AZ 85225
- Phoenix West - 1630 N. 51st Avenue, Phoenix, 85035
For more information, visit www.risasdental.com.
How to beat the baby blues and postpartum depression
Does Bey have the baby blues? According to several Hollywood magazines Beyoncé has a case of post pregnancy blues, since the birth of her twins. Many women experience a range of emotions during and after pregnancies. Dr. Sharon Thompson helps us sort through it, and explains the difference between postpartum depression and the baby blues.
- The birth of a baby is usually an eagerly awaited and joyful event and a milestone in the life of a family
- Many women experience a wide range of emotions during and after pregnancies. Those emotions include anticipation, excitement, happiness, fulfillment, anxiety, frustration, confusion, sadness and guilt
- Up to 80% of women experience 'baby blues' -- a normal reaction to the sleep deprivation and life changes after a new baby
- 14%-23% of pregnant women experience depression during pregnancy, and 5%-25% experience depression postpartum (PPD)
- Symptoms of PPD include sadness, mood swings, anxiety, lack of interest in baby or family. Symptoms can be severe including thoughts of harming self or others
- Untreated PPD can have significant consequences for women and families
- All medical providers should recognize the signs of PPD and know the basics of therapy
Who gets PPD
- Any woman who is, or has been, pregnant in the last 12 months
- Only a minority of women report their symptoms to a provider
Screening: formal screening tools administered in hospital or provider office (Edinburgh is most famous)
- Are you feeling sad every day?
- Is your mood getting worse over time?
- Have you lost interest in your usual activities?
Complete interview by a clinician to determine if the patient meets criteria for a major depressive episode.
- Social support
- Lifestyle changes
- Help with childcare and household activities
- Get outside/exercise
- Acupuncture/massage/light therapy
- Medications used for depression, anxiety and psychosis have been found to be effective.
- Severe symptoms usually require medication
- Treatment is usually time limited to 6 months-one year then PT can be reassessed for ongoing symptoms
Can PPD be prevented?
- Currently, there is no way to prevent PPD.
- Women at high risk can begin medication before symptoms begin
There are risk factors that suggest an increased risk of getting PPD
- A history of depression or anxiety, either during pregnancy or at other times
- Family history of depression or anxiety
- A difficult pregnancy or birth experience
- Giving birth to twins or other multiples
- Problems in the relationship with your partner
- Financial stress
- Receiving little or no support from family or friends to help care for baby
- Unplanned pregnancy
What can you do?
- Recognize symptoms
- Recognize PPD is a medical problem. It is not a matter of will.
- Ask for help
- From your healthcare provider -- get diagnosed
- From partner -- take on childcare and household responsibilities
- Go outside
- Ask family/friends to baby sit and go out and be an adult
- Let go of expectations, such as:
- Spotless house
- Pristine baby
- Social support
- Support groups
Take medication if symptoms are not getting better in a week or two.
Many medications can be safely used while breastfeeding
For more information on postpartum visit: http://www.postpartum.net/
Call the PSI Warmline at 1-800-944-4773(4PPD)
National Suicide Prevention Hotline and Website 1-800-273-8255 www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org
Central Phoenix Obstetrics and Gynecology
926 East McDowell Road, #134, Phoenix, AZ 85006
It is Labor Day, and also the beginning of great backyard grilling weather. And the folks at Paradise Valley Burger Company join us with some tips on cooking the burger correctly, adding some extra flavor, and topping it all off with a great side dish.
For more information, visit: http://www.paradisevalleyburgercompany.com/home.html
4001 E Bell Rd
Phoenix, AZ 85032
Pick your protein
There are lots of different choices when it comes to protein, how do you know if you need it, and how do you know what is the best kind to buy, and how to use it?
Collagen protein is our newest protein and can keep your skin supple, joints mobile and improve your digestion. Some of the benefits also include:
- When we eat cuts of meat only, we often miss out on the digestive (and many other) benefits that connective tissue can offer collagen protein is delicious way to get those gut-supporting collagen peptides in regularly,
- It also provides a non-dairy source of animal protein
You can purchase all of these proteins at https://shop.lifetimefitness.com/
Here are some Collagen Protein Recipes
- Chocolate Cauliflower Smoothie
- Chia Pudding
- Double Chocolate and Greens
- Cake Batter Meltaways
- Yogurt fruit dip with the collagen protein (1 scoop vanilla collagen with 1 cup plain Greek Yogurt)
- Collagen coffee