Tempe boy gets finger stuck in fidget spinner, warns about dangers

Posted: Updated:
Sam Rhodes got a fidget spinner ring stuck on his finger. (Source: Cassie Rhodes) Sam Rhodes got a fidget spinner ring stuck on his finger. (Source: Cassie Rhodes)
They spent hours at two hospitals trying to get the ring off. (Source: Cassie Rhodes) They spent hours at two hospitals trying to get the ring off. (Source: Cassie Rhodes)
The hospital's head of maintenance, not a doctor, sawed it off. (Source: Cassie Rhodes) The hospital's head of maintenance, not a doctor, sawed it off. (Source: Cassie Rhodes)
Rhodes is urging parents to throw the popular toys away. (Source: Cassie Rhodes) Rhodes is urging parents to throw the popular toys away. (Source: Cassie Rhodes)
TEMPE, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) -

A Tempe boy and his family hope their fidget spinner story stops others from going through their awful experience.

Sam Rhodes, 11, was at his grandma's house playing with an alloy metal Gengi fidget spinner he bought on Amazon with his allowance money when all of a sudden it slipped all the way down his index finger.

That was on July 11. He was able to remove everything but the center ring.

At first, he and his mom didn't think it was a big deal. They tried to remove it using dish soap and other tricks but failed.

The next day, they spent hours in two hospitals, Chandler Dignity Health and Banner Cardon Children's Medical Center.

Doctors at the first hospital couldn't remove it with a ring cutter. The materials it was made out of were too strong. Luckily, Cardon Children's Medical Center had seen a similar case and knew exactly what to do. The hospital's head of maintenance, not a doctor, sawed it off.

Cell phone video captures him crying while a hospital maintenance man sawed through it the next day.

"So basically I thought they were accidentally going to cut my finger," said Sam."I was yelling please stop because the pain was so intense."

[WATCH: Cell phone video of spinner ring being cut off boy's finger]

[WATCH: Fidget spinner scare]

[NOT THE ONLY DANGER: Firefighter alerts parents after daughter chokes on fidget spinner part]

[AND: Texas girl chokes on fidget spinner part]

Today, Sam's finger is no longer swollen and healing well.

"I'm done with these. I'm probably not going to play with them for a while," he said.

His mother, Cassie Rhodes, called it a terrifying experience. She's urging parents to throw the popular toys away.

"It's not worth the danger," she said. "It's not worth the traumatic event, throw them out. I'm throwing them out as soon as I'm done with the news and spreading the word."

His mom explained between two hospital visits, this all added up to thousands of dollars in medical bills, even with insurance.

[REPORT: Fidget spinners are potential choking hazard]

[RELATED: Fidget toys aren't just hype... or are they?]

[AND: Popular fidget spinner toys claim to help with focus]

Click/tap here to download the free azfamily mobile app.

Copyright 2017 KPHO/KTVK (KPHO Broadcasting Corporation). All rights reserved.


  • Featured VideoMore>>

  • Family who lost everything in Viewpoint Fire gets two big surprises

    Family who lost everything in Viewpoint Fire gets two big surprises

    Monday, May 21 2018 12:09 AM EDT2018-05-21 04:09:55 GMT
    A brand new RV now stands on their property of Ken and Jessica Holgate. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)A brand new RV now stands on their property of Ken and Jessica Holgate. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)
    A brand new RV now stands on their property of Ken and Jessica Holgate. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)A brand new RV now stands on their property of Ken and Jessica Holgate. (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    “There’s (sic) just no words to describe the happiness this is making all of our family,” said Jessica Holgate. 

    More >

    “There’s (sic) just no words to describe the happiness this is making all of our family,” said Jessica Holgate. 
     

    More >
  • Chandler man stuck in tree rescued by firefighters

    Chandler man stuck in tree rescued by firefighters

    Sunday, May 20 2018 11:01 PM EDT2018-05-21 03:01:04 GMT
    A Chandler man was just trying to tackle some household chores and ended up stuck in a tree. (Source: Chandler Fire Department)A Chandler man was just trying to tackle some household chores and ended up stuck in a tree. (Source: Chandler Fire Department)
    (Source: 3TV/CBS 5)(Source: 3TV/CBS 5)

    A Chandler man was just trying to tackle some household chores and ended up stuck in a tree. He was up so high that first responders had to come rescue him.

    More >

    A Chandler man was just trying to tackle some household chores and ended up stuck in a tree. He was up so high that first responders had to come rescue him.

    More >
  • Hawaii lava hits Pacific to create a new danger

    Hawaii lava hits Pacific to create a new danger

    Sunday, May 20 2018 4:51 PM EDT2018-05-20 20:51:01 GMT
    Lava pouring out from four different fissures formed one larger stream, part of which threatens an important way out for lower Puna residents. (KITV)Lava pouring out from four different fissures formed one larger stream, part of which threatens an important way out for lower Puna residents. (KITV)
    Lava pouring out from four different fissures formed one larger stream, part of which threatens an important way out for lower Puna residents. (KITV)Lava pouring out from four different fissures formed one larger stream, part of which threatens an important way out for lower Puna residents. (KITV)

    First, it was catastrophic lava. Then it was sulfur dioxide. Now Big Island residents have yet another danger to worry about. 

    More >

    First, it was catastrophic lava. Then it was sulfur dioxide. Now Big Island residents have yet another danger to worry about. 

    More >